147 GTA owners - should I? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 10-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

Red 2.4 159 Ti

147 GTA owners - should I?

After the heart ache of having to part with my faultless GT 2.0 Blackline to buy my first house, and the horrors that I experienced in the few months that I owned a 2.4 159 Ti I vowed to never step foot in an Alfa again. But those sexy little minxes are tempting me again, and I fear that I will not be able to resist for ever. Especially after that 4C was on TopGear last night. My word!!

My question to you 147 GTA owners is.. How are they to live with realistically?

If I was going to get an Alfa I think I'd be looking to get something with the V6 under the bonnet and keep it in the garage during the winter months.

In your opinion, and based on your experiences of ownership, does this seem like a good idea? I've seen a couple recently with 60k-75k on the clock going for little above 4k which to me is almost too cheap to turn down! I never thought I would ever see the GTA's going that cheap. So surely, one of those cared for and kept in the garage would eventually be worth more than the 4k you shelled out...?

What is the maintainance schedule like.. How costly are they to keep in good order? Any horror stories?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Staffordshire
19mpg around town. Cambelt 500-700. Service 150-300. If it's red budget for a Respray if it's not already had one. Love mine it has its little niggles. Gt is a more comfortable ride in v6 form than gta.
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

147 GTA

The buyer's guide stickied at the top of the GTA forum is essential reading.
The general consensus is that it's better to pay a bit more for one which has been well looked after and had things like the Q2 done and comes with a detailed history.
"There's no such thing as a cheap GTA" is a phrase you'll get used to!
AO Member
County: West Midlands
156 GTA a better buy and cheaper. It rides and handles better too
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 11-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

Red 2.4 159 Ti

Some interesting points raised. Thanks.

I would personally prefer a 147 GTA over a GT. However, I would like to have something that is going to be worth something further down the line. Would I be better going for a 147 GTA or a GTV Cup instead?

Also, it has to fit in the garage, so the GT and the 156 would be a bit of a squeeze. I have seen some very nice v6 GT's though recently.

How reliable are the v6 engines?
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

GT 3.2

or a GTV 3.2 V6 Phase 3? I reckon they would be a great buy, fastest Alfa bar the 8C and 4C which are quite a bit more expensive. The Cups seems quite expensive at the moment but are a ridiculously good looking car.

I have owned a 147 GTA and it is up there if not the best car I have ever owned. To be honest it should be quicker and have more bhp given the size of the engine but it feels like it is going a million miles an hour thanks to the great engine sound and rawness.

Engines are reliable if looked after. Clutch, gearbox, suspension and diffs less so, so worth spening money on upgrades over time and try to get one with the 330mm brakes (which all GT 3.2's have but some GTA's have 305mm)
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Originally Posted by Adam147 View Post
156 GTA a better buy and cheaper. It rides and handles better too
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
The V6's are very good engines. Just need to make sure the cambelt is changed along with tensioners, otherwise they rub against the cam cover and then PING!

I went from a 147 GTA to a GT 3.2 V6.

The GTA feels a little more special in my opinion, but now I've made my GT a little more special to compensate

The GT is a much more grown up version in my eyes. They also don't seem to suffer as much from things such as oil coolers and diffs blowing...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , gta , owners