156 wonky idle - THE FIX !!!! - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Member

Re: 156 wonky idle - THE FIX !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa-BR View Post
That's also what I heard from people who bought the car new. It seems related to a deterioration of something, bad contact, bad earthing somewhere?? I suspect the ABS ECU, maybe just removing it and cleanning the contacts etc. could fix it?
If only I knew where??? I was wondering if it was the road wheel sensors, but I cant find where to disconnect the rear wheel ones. Ive only tried the front ones, which made no difference. Bad earth possibly, but where is the earth on the ABS unit??? I cant find it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS 1999

Already checked and cleanned the oil separator valve...
AO Member

County: West Lothian

Member car:

155 silverstone

ok! first, thanx to mubz for emailing me this thread. I think i'm gonna try this, as my buggy runs fine whilst moving, buyt attempting to dip the clutch on approach to junctions etc my rev counter just bombs down to 800, or stalls completely! obviously, a car with power steering and abs is dangerous when there is no power, and several times i have found myself unable to steer, or frantically stamping on a very heavy brake pedal!
I will however try the ecu reset first, i cant remove the abs fuse and know if its disconnected properly, as my speedo has never worked in the year i've owned my car hopefully, this will fix my problems, is the setup the same behind the speedo on the 155?

AO Member

Quote:
Already checked and cleanned the oil separator valve...
Me too, replaced with a new one, no change unfortunately.
AO Member

Member car:

155 silverstone

before i cut the wire, i've decided to give my car one last chance! i put a tenner of superunleaded in with a tenner of normal unleaded, then i thrashed its ass up to 80 in the space of 2 sets of lights (approx 500m) it seems ok! i wonder if its just lulling me into a false sense of security? off all next week, time for some tlc, some restoration, some new stereo equipment, some paint!!! maybe then the buggy will love me once more and stop doing the jerky pull offs, and the traffic light/roundabout/junction cut offs!!!!
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioness666 View Post
before i cut the wire, i've decided to give my car one last chance! i put a tenner of superunleaded in with a tenner of normal unleaded, then i thrashed its ass up to 80 in the space of 2 sets of lights (approx 500m) it seems ok! i wonder if its just lulling me into a false sense of security? off all next week, time for some tlc, some restoration, some new stereo equipment, some paint!!! maybe then the buggy will love me once more and stop doing the jerky pull offs, and the traffic light/roundabout/junction cut offs!!!!
I've tried that psico treatment with my bella already...no luck!
AO Member

Member car:

155 silverstone

ok alfa-br, thanks for the heads up, but so far she running sweet as a nut, only stalled once!!! wee bit sluggish on the get go, but overall she seems settled!, gonna waterproof all the dodgy points, italian cars aint used to rain methinks!!
AO Member

Member car:

155 silverstone

oh yeah, and wtf does psico mean?:???
AO Member

Member car:

155 silverstone

speakers came yesterday!!! i wasn't in though
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioness666 View Post
oh yeah, and wtf does psico mean?:???

This:

"maybe then the buggy will love me once more and stop doing the jerky pull offs, and the traffic light/roundabout/junction cut offs!!!!"

County: East Sussex

Member car:

alfa 156

problem starting alfa 1999 156 2.0lt twin spark

Hey guyz my alfa when changing gear the revs drop right down at times and the car stalls and sometimes it takes ages to start could this be the air flow? , coil? when the cars running i take it to the garage they says nothings wrong they cant find anything wrong....i'm getting really frustrated can anyone give me some advise?
AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Re: problem starting alfa 1999 156 2.0lt twin spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balfa156 View Post
Hey guyz my alfa when changing gear the revs drop right down at times and the car stalls and sometimes it takes ages to start could this be the air flow? , coil? when the cars running i take it to the garage they says nothings wrong they cant find anything wrong....i'm getting really frustrated can anyone give me some advise?
That sounds like a crank sensor fault to me!
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Can a Mod condense the info on this fix and maybe make bullet points on other causes as 6 pageges is a lot of rading in on post that that may help many a 156 owner.

If i am being a pain in the butt please tell me so, but due to medical condition I cannot read long pages of writing to get the relevant info.
AO Member

Member car:

155 silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpizza View Post
Can a Mod condense the info on this fix and maybe make bullet points on other causes as 6 pageges is a lot of rading in on post that that may help many a 156 owner.

If i am being a pain in the butt please tell me so, but due to medical condition I cannot read long pages of writing to get the relevant info.
basically, cut the wire mentioned on page 1, page 2 if you want pics! if that doesn't work, refer back to page 6!! hope that helps! (clue, from the thread post, you can access whatever page you want first!)
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

146 Junior

Hi,
Im glad i found this thread,I replaced the iac recently and
i only get the weird idle when the car is rolling.
Please help me locate THE wire on a plastic top 146
Many thanks!
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

146 Junior

Marlon if you were around id buy you a beer!
Cutting the wire can be avoided by insulating ecu to speedo
pin with nail polish. On my m1.5.5 its pin 27 plug A.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
Cutting the wires sounds very drastic.

I had idling problems which were cured by sorting the idle actuator. I documented most of it on my website but basically having reset the idle actuator using AlfaDiag, the bouncing revs and stalling stopped. If ever I have to remove the throttle body now, I take the actuator off first to avoid it moving when disconnecting the throttle cable, etc. Then when it is put back it will be set at the correct starting position. Another reset and a throttle reset (90 secs) see it idle perfectly.
Is it easy to reset the accuator with Alfa diag?
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa155ae View Post
Is it easy to reset the accuator with Alfa diag?

Very easy! But sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it to work.
AO Member

Member car:

155 silverstone

pulled this to the front for the sake of someone going mental at their car, hope you dont mind, it makes it easier to find
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Quote:
Very easy! But sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it to work.

Well I dunno if I need to do it again, but I reset idle accuator in Alfa diag and it says turn key off mar for 90 seconds and turn back on! I did that but after a few drives in car the idle seems high and wonky again now. And yes I have cut the wire as mentioned
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS 1999

Quote:
Well I dunno if I need to do it again, but I reset idle accuator in Alfa diag and it says turn key off mar for 90 seconds and turn back on! I did that but after a few drives in car the idle seems high and wonky again now. And yes I have cut the wire as mentioned
It seems like you would need to do it again. Sometimes after resetting the idle actuator the car refuses to start or it will idle high.

After that 90 sec. key off, when you turn the key to MAR again, the actuator should move back and forth a few times and make some weird noises that you usually don't hear when you start the car every day. If it doesn't do that, try repeating the process again.

This fix here is intended specifically to cases where the idle is rock solid EXCEPT when the car is rolling in neutral or with the clutch down. In this condition, the idle would bounce up and down and only becoming stable again once the car stops.

That's my case as I haven't had the guts to cut the wire yet...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Quote:
It seems like you would need to do it again. Sometimes after resetting the idle actuator the car refuses to start or it will idle high.

After that 90 sec. key off, when you turn the key to MAR again, the actuator should move back and forth a few times and make some weird noises that you usually don't hear when you start the car every day. If it doesn't do that, try repeating the process again.

This fix here is intended specifically to cases where the idle is rock solid EXCEPT when the car is rolling in neutral or with the clutch down. In this condition, the idle would bounce up and down and only becoming stable again once the car stops.

That's my case as I haven't had the guts to cut the wire yet...
Well I tried another reset and it seems ok so far, If it doesn't work this time I'll try it again.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS 1999

Sick and tired of this bouncing problem, I finally decided to cut the wire last tuesday, and sure enough the bouncing stopped imediately! It's a new car, I'm so happy!

I tried to put a 1K resistor to the wire and it came back again, then I tried a 10K resistor and it also came back. So, leave it cut I say!

It seems that the only side effect is the one already mentioned, the throttle is more responsive at slow speeds so when you lift your foot too fast from the gas pedal the car slows down quickly and gives a bump, but I can live with that! My 145 also does that so I can adjust my driving.

I also noticed, not always, a small dip in the rev, but not like before. I'll try an idle reset and maybe it will fix that.

I would definately not go back to what I had before.

Congrats to Marlon and Maverick.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

I'm not so convinced that the jerky response when putting foot on and off gas makes up for the wonky Idle if that makes sense! You seem to cure one problem and create another!
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS 1999

Quote:
I'm not so convinced that the jerky response when putting foot on and off gas makes up for the wonky Idle if that makes sense! You seem to cure one problem and create another!
I sure think so! The bouncing is VERY annoying and I'll certainly not go back to reconnecting that wire unless I find a better solution or the source of this problem. This is not a "problem", many cars are originally like that. My Alfa 145, for instance, behaves exactly like that, if I lift my foot too fast.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , fix , idle , wonky

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page