156 wonky idle - THE FIX !!!! - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Member car:

Re: 156 wonky idle - THE FIX !!!!

Hi all

Just wanted to let you know my experience.

So i have an Alfa 156 2.0 selespeed auto, year 2000.

I was getting the exact same symptoms when I was breaking, coming to a junction, etc the car would always want to cut out, then recover.

I had this problem for a couple of years and just got used to it, as I didn't have that much time ot take it to Alfa.

The last few months it got worse and worse, nearly crashed the car turning into a tight side street a few times as it actually started to stall and the power steeering cutting out.

I tried the first reccomended reset.

1. I disconnected the battery, left it for a few hours. connected it back then started the car and left it on idle for 30 minutes before setting off.

This fixed the problem straight away. However after turning it off and setting it off again it when back to the same old problem.

2. Then after nearly crashing it again, I have gone for option 2, snipping the wire behind the speedometer as described on this thread. I was desperate. at first when I started reading this thread, I thought it was drastic, but not now.

Straigth away the car is fixed, like a totally different car.
Just one side affect, the accelerator reaction is a bit sharp when you take the foot off it at lower speeds, ie when you want to slow down. But its nothing compared to nearly crashing it.

I know this has masked the problem, but my car is on 82k, and spending all that money with Alfa does not seem worth it.

As described before, it only kicks in after you go over 10mph, but its ok. I am more than happy. Sure it has masked the problem, but it does not bother me.

BTW, its the green and black wire for me and I did not disconnect the connectors form the unit. took the keys out though.

Thanks for this thread, and thanks for the suggestion and peoples posts. I am very happy.
Sorry one more.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

156 2.0TS

I got another bella and it's got the dreaded bouncy revs, I'm pretty sure it's the stepper motor ie idle actuator, so it's either pay the £200 or whatever for new actuator fitted or cut wire as before

I heard you need idle actuator fitted with special equipment! So no diy job then
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

If you have AlfaDiag you can fit it no problem, easy to fit then reset idle actuator with alfadiag. Sometimes takes more than one attempt to get the idle set correct.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
If you have AlfaDiag you can fit it no problem, easy to fit then reset idle actuator with alfadiag. Sometimes takes more than one attempt to get the idle set correct.
Ah cool, I just got a dual core laptop and I have AlfaDiag demo, so I'll have to invest in the lead now

I hope the demo version is ok though!
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa155ae View Post
Ah cool, I just got a dual core laptop and I have AlfaDiag demo, so I'll have to invest in the lead now

I hope the demo version is ok though!
I think the demo version only allow you to connect and check a few sensors and ECU info, but you won't be able to reset the actuator with the demo version. But it's a good investment, will pay off very quick.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Where can you get software and cable? I checked Gazza's site for info on cable and it's sold out
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
rt05492

You can tell if the idle actuator is causing the problem by leaving it plugged in but taking it off the side of the throttle body. The throttle body remains sealed so you do not affect the fuelling through the throttle. You have to take the throttle body off to do this (4 star screws) and then the idle actuator comes off (3 star screws). You don't have to remove the throttle cable to do this.

The above made no difference to mine proving that my fault was not with the idle actuator.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

My usb cable has arrived, I just have to download software now to see where the fault lies
AO Member

Member car:

166 3.0 V6 Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibraltar View Post
I still have a similar problem on my Vauxhall Omega Estate. Very intermittent. The danger is that the engine can cut out on the approach to junctions or when slowing down generally so I lose the power steering which is a nightmare. My garage has tried everything with no permanent "cure". I will pass this info on, but just wanted everyone to know it's not just Alfas that have such problems.
Hi Gibralter,
My wifes Focus does this too. Very disconcerting!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

I took the idle actuator off my spare car and when I took the idle acuator apart it's only a little motor inside. Flippin heck £100 odd quid for a little motor what a rip off!

Last edited by CroBaron; 01-07-08 at 06:27.

Member car:

alfa 157

Thumbs Up Re: 156 wonky idle - THE FIX !!!!

Just wanted to say - wire cutting worked for me too. What a relaxing drive i have now. Well done. That has been an issue with this car for a year. Now I have to explain to my mechanic why I don't need that 400 €uro worth of replacement parts, and ask if he wouldn't mind sending them back.
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

wire cutting isnt a fix, it simply hides the problem. replace the idle speed actuator (£10 scrapyard part). in some cases adding washers between the actuator and throttlebody sorts it (for reasons unknown)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa155ae
I took the idle actuator off my spare car and when I took the idle acuator apart it's only a little motor inside.
its a solenoid, so bascially a small electromagnet and a plunger the magnet can move back and forth. for some reason fixing the damn thing is difficult considering how simply it is made.

Member car:

Hi all
am new to Alfa so needs so help with my wonky idle.I have a year 2001,1.6TS 156.
My problem is that when you start the car it will sit at 1200 RPM.
When the car is warm i find that when i slow down and stop my car will idle at about 1500 to 2000 RPM.
If you try and blip the throttle then it will come back down to 1200 RPM,sometimes.Other times it just sits at 2000 RPM.
Apart from this problem the car runs fine.

Sorry to be a pain guys but as i say am new to Alfa.

cheers

jimmy boy
jug
AO Silver Member

1200rpm!! thats far too high, it should be 850rpm.

check the intake and all hoses connected to it for leaks. even a cracked hose could be causing a vacuum leak which causes your high idle.
AO Gold Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

It could also be set high on the throttle cable (the 1.6's are cable aren't they?)
jug
AO Silver Member

true, an incorrecty adjsuted cable could be holding the butterfly valve open. check if the cable seems tight at idle on the throttlebody, and try slackening it off a coupe of notches on the adjuster.
rt05492

Does sound like your idle may just be too high rather than the infuriating fluctuations/bouncing that can occur.

Theres a grub screw idle 'adjuster/stop' on the arm of the throttle on my '98 2.0 TS. Look where the throttle cable actually turns the throttle mechanism. There are some differences between the throttle set ups etc. on the 156 so yours could be completely different. If yours has one of these and it's been wound 'in' too far - this could be giving yours a high idle. Try turning it 'out' half a turn and see if the idle drops at all.

Classic air leak locations are in the deepest parts of the corrugated rubber inake hoses where the rubber perishes and cracks

You could also try an ECU reset -

Disconnect battery positive terminal for at least 45 mins.
Ignition on 90 seconds - don't start the car.
Ignition off 90 seconds.
Start car - no throttle - and leave to idle for 10 minutes.
Test drive.

Last edited by rt05492; 01-07-08 at 16:06.

AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS 1999

On my cable throttle there's a C clip that is used to adjust the cable position, if it's too thight it will raise the idle. If that's the case, just move the clip so the cable has some room allowing the B/V to close.

A high idle could also be caused by a faulty idle motor and a couple of other things. Do you have the warning light on?
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS 1999

I was talking to my mechanic today and he told me one of his customer had the bouncing for over a year. Then, one day the ABS light came on and he had to fix the ABS pump and ECU. After that, no more bouncing and the car has been great since. Any theories?

Member car:

Does anyone bought 156 2.0 TS as new, was there any same kind of problems then?

It seems like the problem is between abs and ecu, is it possible that the information from abs to ecu is cutting off and that´s why idle bouncing??? Bosch
AO Member

I bought my 156 2.0TS from new in 2001 (hence euro3 fly-by-wire) and never had any problems until about 1 year ago.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc G View Post
I bought my 156 2.0TS from new in 2001 (hence euro3 fly-by-wire) and never had any problems until about 1 year ago.

That's also what I heard from people who bought the car new. It seems related to a deterioration of something, bad contact, bad earthing somewhere?? I suspect the ABS ECU, maybe just removing it and cleanning the contacts etc. could fix it?
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa-BR View Post
On my cable throttle there's a C clip that is used to adjust the cable position, if it's too thight it will raise the idle. If that's the case, just move the clip so the cable has some room allowing the B/V to close.

A high idle could also be caused by a faulty idle motor and a couple of other things. Do you have the warning light on?
Fast idle can also be the "oil separator valve" between cam cover and inlet manifold. There are two pipes coming from the cam cover: one is obvious and is the one you see attached to the intake pipe just before the throttle body. The other is behind the throttle body and not so easy to see .... link to pic. Inside the valve unit is a spring and plunger and this can get gummed up with excess oil (or in my case lost when the manifold was replaced!) ... separator valve pic. The cover is prone to breaking as it gets brittle over time so spending a couple of quid on a new one is a good bet.

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
Unregistered

County: Wiltshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kimberely View Post
Hi Gibralter,
My wifes Focus does this too. Very disconcerting!
On Fords it's normally the clutch pedal switch, replace it and it sorts its life out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , fix , idle , wonky

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page