156 wonky idle - THE FIX !!!! - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Re: 156 wonky idle - THE FIX !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robf781
I'll try cleaning it again, but I'm sure that's not causing it. BTW how d you do a reset with alfa diag, I can't see anything in there that looks promising. Cheers.
It under the sensor section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto748
My idle has recently started to get pretty wonky too. I can't say it seems to make that much difference during normal driving, but it's irritating just the same.

Sorry to be dim, but where *exactly* is this fuse under the bonnet that sa155ae and others refer to? It wouldn't hurt to give that a try.

When I get it back from the garage..
It's in dock having a new starter motor fitted. They're having some difficulty removing the fixing bolts apparently. A two foot long breaker bar wouldn't shift them, so I'm told.

Meanwhile the damn bike wouldn't start this morning either.
I had to get to work by train and taxi, at great expense.
I think it needs a new battery. I reckon it's suffered from "only on the occasional sunny Sunday" syndrome of infrequent use with its previous owner. It'll be working much harder from now on!
You can't really miss it's a 60 amp I think and says ABS on it, it's on the right hand side at back when you open the bonnet.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Thanks sa!

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82
It under the sensor section.
Granted, but which bit? There's a couple of ones I'm not sure about. Also my interface will not work with the engine running (new one on it's way) so can this be done whilst the ignition is in mar position, but the engine is off then?

Cheers,
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

The reset methods did nothing for mine (1998 2.0 TS), tried taking the battery off for a day, tried the 90 seconds on/off key thing - the only thing that made any difference to the running was the Alfadiag reset - namely pressing the 'reset to factory defaults' button. Now it drives like a different car.
AO Member

Its under the actuators tab, no sure of exact name cos i cant see anything until i connect and its to cold to go and see, but once in its quite obvious which one it is. And yes just do it in mar position.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider

BTW Realised the selespeed is a drive by wire throttle and has no idle actuator. Must be the funny looking motor on the left hand side of the throttle body. I'm pretty sure it's that now, had another look today and I reckon I've disturbed it when cleaning it and either it's £$%*& or it needs a reset.

Alfa Diag doesn't appear to have a reset for this throttle. I'll ask Derek about it as I'm intending to email him later anyway. Hope it's not goosed, I have a feeling that would be expensive.

< Rob >

Spider 2.0 TS 1997
156 2.0 TS Selespeed 1999 (now sold)
147 2.0 TS Lusso 2002
AO Gold Member

Garage

That's probably the throttle potentiometer that receives signals from the other one on the throttle pedal. I've never been near a selespeed engine so can't help you there. But from the other postings here, it is a lot easier to screw a fly-by-wire throttle when cleaning it than a cable one, which isn't much comfort.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Ah, I`ve just been posting on another thread about your problem, robf781.

I see you have already gotten past most of the the points I mentioned.

If you need a new TB I have a 2.5 V6 one I could be tempted to part with. Its second-hand and I`ve never used it myself, but its came off a V6 with bottom end trouble so no reason to think its anything but ok. Its certainly got some nice sticky gunk on the butterfly so its never been cleaned!

Personally though, i still think you just need a darn good reset. You should be able to do this by disconnecting the battery. Apparently if you then ground out the wires for the ECU it takes out any residual charge but i don`t know which wires are involved, its just something my local dealer does to 'totally flush the system'
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

WHAY HAY I just cleaned mine after 7 months of wonky idle
and it works no erratic idle, it does seem to have a higher tick over now though that may have been because the jubilee clip arround the throttle body wasn't that tight and sucking a little air in!

By the way the butterfly and body was full of brownish gunk. I sprayed with wd40 and left for a few mins then wiped clean carefully with throttle shut then placed a brick on throttle so I could clean where the butterfly seat.

I then turned ignition on for 90 secs and then off for 90 secs then start it with no throttle for a bit too! Don't know if that made a difference though.
AO Member

County: Cumbria

MY V6 has been doing the bouncing revs trick when pulling up, for a few weeks now. A pain when it stalls at a junction.
Tried the 90 sec ignition on/off then 5 mins idle with no throttle, then a good 2/3/4 gear thrashing around the lanes (nearly collected a tractor and trailer that was reversing just around a corner )
Runs great now, rock steady idle.
Hope it lasts.
Si
AO Member

to all SSpeed Alfa's models 2000 and older.

There is a problem doing butterfly cleaning for the fly by wire throtle! I've done such cleaning to mine without disassemble anything, just spraying. The results were in non stable rev from 800-2500. That was really dangerous as the car jumps ahead without control. Even taking it to a long ride after ECU/throtle wouln't help. So my mechanic heard that on old ECUs, the idle position is changing constantly for the dirt and the new values are stored and set to zero in the ECU. When you clean it, the value is read now like (-) minus and never recover. The way to reset it apart of replacing ECU is to take the complete throtle body to a newer model of 156/147 so the ECU can set it right and then relace it back. We have done that in mine and it worked. so for those models - don't do the cleaning stuff since the ECU can not set it correctly any more. how stupid could be the Alfa engineers back then ha?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

BTW mine didn't last, I have wonky revs again

A ECU reset is on the cards I think, but I aint got cable and Laptop
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushimushi View Post
to all SSpeed Alfa's models 2000 and older.

There is a problem doing butterfly cleaning for the fly by wire throtle! I've done such cleaning to mine without disassemble anything, just spraying. The results were in non stable rev from 800-2500. That was really dangerous as the car jumps ahead without control. Even taking it to a long ride after ECU/throtle wouln't help. So my mechanic heard that on old ECUs, the idle position is changing constantly for the dirt and the new values are stored and set to zero in the ECU. When you clean it, the value is read now like (-) minus and never recover. The way to reset it apart of replacing ECU is to take the complete throtle body to a newer model of 156/147 so the ECU can set it right and then relace it back. We have done that in mine and it worked. so for those models - don't do the cleaning stuff since the ECU can not set it correctly any more. how stupid could be the Alfa engineers back then ha?
This fits in exactly with what I found. Cleaning the throttle body gave me an idle speed close to 2000 revs and it wouldn't come down no matter how many 90 sec on/offs I did with the key. You do need an ecu reset if this happens.
marlon

If you reset the ECU using a laptop and Alfadiag, would it lose any remapping done ?? ie...would I lose my Angel remap ??

AO Gold Member

Garage

I don't think it does. AFAIK the reset targets particular parameters but why not check with Alfadiag.net or Angel Tuning to be on the safe side
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

Well can't believe I've just cut a wire coming out the back of the speedo, I was at the end of my patience having spent a fortune chasing my tail trying to sort my rolling idle bounce - all without any stored faults on Alfadiag and I've lost count of how many resets I've done.

I've tested my ABS and it still works fine and the performance feels the same (tho slow compared to the new M3 I was playing in yesterday!).

For info removing the ABS fuse made no difference, cutting the wire did.

I know it's probably just masking the real problem but at least the car is usable now, many thanks to the OP.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Well I thought to hell with it and sniped the green/white wire

But when I first read this thread last year I was a dubious about sniping it as it seemed a bit drastic!

I also tried removing ABS fuse and that made no difference either.

But way hay no more stupid looks at the traffic lights anymore, and junctions are smoother with lovely gear changes

They must have thought I'm a right boy racer at the lights! oh but I am really
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Is it a good idea to reset throttle after doing this fix!

Member car:

1999 156 TS

Hi. My 1999 2L TS got the same problem too. jumping up and down. rant: i close to , spent a lot of money to try fix it. idle actuators was change ( a used and a new).
i will print this out to show my garage. see what they think.u know they might not suggest cutting the wire.
Anyone have a bad smell from the exhaust when this was happen. my car smell very bad from the exhaust. : just like you light a matches.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

It drives like a different car now with laods more torque low to mid band.

I also took my car for MOT and hoped the wire cutting method wasn't effecting anything , it passed with flying colours . But he did mention a slight problem in it after running it from 3000 ish rpm down to idle but it was within tolerence anyway!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

idle actuator !
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

idle actuator

Member car:

Alfa 156 1.8 TS

Marlon & Maveric, (I am a new Alfa Owner)

I have a 2000 156 1.8TS with the same problem, should this fix work on mine?
AO Member

if your problem is the same as the rest it should, but cant promise. its a choice you have to make, are you brave or desperate enough to cut a wire in Alfa electrics.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , fix , idle , wonky

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page