Loss of engine oil - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 04-10-06 Thread Starter
Loss of engine oil

This is my 2nd post (first was just the intro). Need abit of advise here. Have a 2004 156 Sele (interior facelift, paddle shift version). I lose engine badly where i have to top up 1 liter ever like 1000km. The dealers told me that this is common for this facelift model and that a ring replacement would solve the problem. Took a second opinion where the seasoned guys told me that they need to strip up the block and the piston and block measured for exact clearance and then decide on a thicker ring spec. Ive tried using thicker oil 10/50W but without success. Ive resorted to semi synthetic oil to cut cost, since Im toppig up like every 10 days. The cars done 40K Km and its off the waranty period. Any advise?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Re: Loss of engine oil

When the rings on my 2.0 were checked during the bottom end rebuild, they did have small cracks forming. None bad enough to break or to show up under a compression test, but one bore had a very slight scratch. This was removed by "glaze-busting" which is done usually after a rebore.

Since the new rings were fitted, oil consumption has dropped to almost nothing. So it could be that the rings are suspect across the range of 4-cyl engines ... TS and JTS share bottom ends.

You might not need thicker rings, just new ones. 'Course to find out, you have to strip the engine.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

new rings is the usual solution to excessive oil consumption. it's worked over here for several TS owners.

AO Gold Member

Two points - if you are using oil at that rate, check at least every 500 kms - don't ever let it run low - that kills more TS engines than even belt failure...

Secondly - an engine rebuild is going to be expensive - if it doesn't get any worse I'd live with it - you can buy a lot of oil for the price of an engine rebuild...and these engines do often use oil, so you're not on your own ;-)
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 05-10-06 Thread Starter

Gentlemen, thank you very much.
Redd, any idea how much the rings would cost here and how long would the job take?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , loss , oil