Replacing rear brake pads on Alfa 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 05-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng
Replacing rear brake pads on Alfa 156

Hi guys, just want to share my experience and advice on changing the rear pads on the 156.

With reference to the below article on changing the pads, a few pointers (and I'm mentioning this because it has happened-to me, therefor there is the possibility of it happening again). When turning the piston back, make sure it is being turned clockwise. Turning it the other way round will bring the piston out and then you're stuck for a couple of hours getting it back into position to fit the tool into the caliper ( ).

The pressure that you have to apply onto that piston is incredible, you'll have to be Hulk Hogan or Schwazzeneger to do it without the tool. It is money worthwhile spent, as it took me 10-15 minutes to change the other side, whereas the first side took me MUCH longer (hours and days) than that.

I don't know where the author of the above manual got the idea or word that pliers can be used, as I went to go and buy the toolkit after the 2nd or 3rd attempt with pliers. The inevitability of the pliers slipping and damaging the piston, the boot and the seal was just too great, never mind the force you have to apply to push that thing back.

Take care.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
If the calliper is working normally then pliers should be okay. If its partly seized (like most are) then you'll struggle without the wind back tool.
AO Gold Member
County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

I've always got by using long-nosed pliers. It's one of those tools I think I really should buy but never do.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 05-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng
Thing is my brakes are working fine. Actually have alot more bite than before, which is surprising considering the new pads are in their virgin territory and I've not even bled the brakes. Don't feel it is necessary at this stage as they are performing better than before. Normally with my previous car, I had to do that (especially if I'd loosen the nipple on the caliper) before pressing the brakes with confidence.
AO Silver Member
County: Kent
I changed mine with an 8 quid wind back tool, a screwdriver and a few spanners. Took about 20 minutes a side.
One of the easiest jobs I've done on a car.
AO Silver Member
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Its also easier to wind the piston back with the bleed nipple open wide.. as this stop you forcing fluid back into the master cylinder and damaging seals..

If its then difficult to push back maybe the calipers need an overhaul.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , brake , pads , rear , replacing