Shock control failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 03-10-06 Thread Starter
Crazed Shock control failure

Hi all:

I search the forum and it appears this is a new one... I would really appreciate any input on this. The problem is being researched by my local dealer and I even asked Jano about it (Autodelta).

My Alfa:
2001 - 156 Selespeed with many Autodelta parts, including modified Engine ECU, Selespeed ECU, Camshafts, air intake, exhaust, suspension, etc.

Upon start, the throttle feels perfectly responsive. It can go like this for a while, even when going over bumps or irregular terrain (most of our roads here are far from smooth). At some point, always when going through some kind of bump or road irregularity, the throttle suddenly cuts-off for a second, and then comes back. When this happens, the throttle remains in a "lazy" mode until you stop, turn the engine off, and restart. While the car is in this "lazy" mode, you can tell any irregularity makes the throttle cut-off for fractions of seconds at a time. From stand-still, if you pushed the pedal down, the throttle response is easily 1+ seconds behind in responding... it is that slow.

Every time this has been checked at the dealer, the diagnostic Examiner will report a "Shock Control Failure" error, but no indications are given as to the possible cause. I wonder what this shock control failure is... maybe it's the ECU? Could this be something related to the fuel delivery in any way?

This problem is not new. It has been coming up for years. When the dealer has checked it and deleted the error, sometimes it has gone away for months. But now it is fairly consistent. We replaced the throttle potentiometer (the one next to the accelerator pedal), but this was not the problem as it persists still.

Appreciate any help.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

control , failure , shock