156 jtd better than TS? Or plump for GTV? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-09-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.4 jtd

156 jtd better than TS? Or plump for GTV?

Few questions, if anyone can help me.

Pondering buying a 156, been looking at 2.4 jtds (2000-02) but wondering if they are that much better mpg and performance-wise than a TS?

Do around 135 miles-a-day, three-quarters of the trip on motorways and wondering whether its worth the extra for a diesel or whether a lighter GTV would offer more fun at not much more mpg, read somewhere that you can get 35mpg?

Test drove a 156 2.4 jtd 2001 at the weekend, took it round the block, parked up and it failed to start again. It had been parked for only a few minutes and the only thing I had donw was open and shut the bonnet. Tried again after 10 mins and it started.

Bloke swore blind it was the first time it had happened, wondering if it is something to do with the immobilizer, ignition etc?

The car's handbook is in German, so a i presume the car is an import, how much less are imports worth comparted to a uk car?

Thanks, Peter
Sponsored Links
Re: 156 jtd better than TS? Or plump for GTV?

Depends on the car.
I have a 2litre 16v 156 and easily get 30mpg from it. I drive it like it's stolen a lot of the time too.
Saying that, most peeps seem to struggle to get 30mpg from the petrol engines. Probably due to the high revving (7000rpm) and the fact it sounds ace up there.

I don't think you'll find much difference in performance between the two. The derv will pull better from low down I think, but on the road I'd say they are the same, probably the petrol is quicker. The 2litre 16v will do 100mph in 3rd gear, so performance isn't a problem with the petrols
AO Member

I have a 156 1.9 JTDm and think the performance is superb, matched by great fuel economy. 0-60 times are comparable to the 2.0 JTS, and it goes 50% further with a tank of fuel. At 135 miles/day, I would go straight for a diesel. If you are considering a GTV, why not a GT JTDm? You'll get around 45 mpg, have loads of fun and drive a beautiful car.
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

if your going to be doing that sort of mileage i would most certainly recommend the JTD lump, and at 2.4 its going to be more than enough fun for you too... besides, 40+mpg should be a doddle with that... 24-28 is quite common with the petrols!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , gtv , jtd , plump