Retrofit Cruise control - the definative guide - Page 22 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

Now then,

Firstly, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. It's been invaluable.

Edited to add that the stalk has now sold. Cheers

Last edited by gregg; 30-04-13 at 12:09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Will this work on my 03 1.9jtd?
It has silver dash with info display on top, red lcd climate control and ASR but its not with face lift front end.
Also where can I source parts my nearest dealers is 62 miles away.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

I took cowl off and I have the white multiplug and clutch pedal switch.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Could I use this CC stalk on my 156? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2810777483...84.m1423.l2649
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroBaron View Post
Could I use this CC stalk on my 156? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2810777483...84.m1423.l2649
Its not a straight fit physically and the wiring is different but I think it has been done before.
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Its not a straight fit physically and the wiring is different but I think it has been done before.
Yes - it's not a straight fit, either the stalk to the column or plug to socket. But I did it and it's still OK 2 years later. You have to (I think) cut a little lug off the stalk and then you can only use one screw hole IIRC but once it's mounted the cowling holds it all in place.

A 147 plug will not fit a 156 socket and the wires are not the same colours either, but earlier in this thread someone kindly posted the way the wires match up and it's easy to bodge up a connection if you open the 147 plug up and pull out the connector pins.

After that it's a simple plug and play.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Thumbs Up

Awesome I fitted it last night. The one off the 147 works with mod, need to mod the cowl next. Thanks
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Ordered today from the bay, £40 for stalk & cowling for a 57 plate 147 Sport. Do a lot of motorway driving so would be a great addition! I'll update with results!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Same here, sounds like it could be the same seller too?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1409879145...84.m1497.l2649

Just one question, I've undone the three alan headed bolts which hold the cover in place but it won't budge. Does it clip onto the upper cover or does it just need a little persuasion? Also, I understand that I need a larger alan bolt when the CC stalk has been fitted. Are these easy to find?

Cheers people.
AO Gold Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

A little tip, when searching eBay for a cruise stalk, just search for 'Alfa Stalks' - I picked up a 147 cruise stalk (along with indicator and wiper stalks) for £12.
If somebody lists it as 'Cruise Control Stalk' chances are they know exactly what they are selling and more people will bid.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Work perfectly, cheers for the thread guys
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion, I now have cruise control which works.

If your after a CC stalk there is a seller on eBay with a couple left (link below), you get the correct cowling and necessary screws too. filipharvey makes a good point above which you may wish to try, you might just pick one cheap as chips. Just make sure you get the correct cowling otherwise you might say bad words when you try to replace the old one.

Here's how I did it for those who want to know: -
(Have a look Fireyfellas post on page 6 too)

1. After a drive try and leave the steering wheel a quarter turn left so that the large open space normally at the top is now available for screwdriver access, it makes this job much easier.

2. Next you'll need an allen key to remove the three bolts holding the lower steering cowling in place. On the inside of the cover there are clips holding it in place so you may need to use some light persuasion.

3. Once removed you can see the steering column with the ignition coil and a series of leads. There should also be a free connector tied back amongst the other wires.

4. The stalk I bought also included the necessary screws, a one inch and a half inch screw. There is a self-taper already there, remove it and put the CC stalk into position taking care not to damage any of the surrounding components. It is the one inch screw you will need to attach the CC stalk to it's seat. (The image shows how difficult this would be with the wheel left in the normal 'upright' position.

5. Tighten the screw and check for any play in the stalk. Adjust if necessary. Once the stalk is in place you can clip the connectors together.

6. When you are happy you can fit the new cowling, which is an absolute turd if I'm honest. It can take w while to get the cover to line up properly with the upper cowling.

7. Start the engine and see if the ECU has picked up the new stalk, you should see a green symbol light up in the centre of the speedo.

8. If you do not see the green light take the car out for a short drive. Find yourself a nice straight stretch of road and activate the cruise control at the desired speed. Let off the gas pedal and there should be a split second delay before the CC kicks in. Feels a little weird the first time, it sounds daft I know but this was the first time I'd ever experienced it. Simple things...

9. Enjoy!

Cheers people. Please tell me if I've missed anything, I am here to learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0418.jpg (102.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0419.jpg (86.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0420.JPG (147.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0422.jpg (55.4 KB, 32 views)

147 Sport Q2: Autolusso Remap + Swirl Flap & EGR Delete, Mocal Oil Cooler Kit, JTD Performance FMIC Kit + High Flow Elbow, Wizard Downpipe, PF Pads + 5.1 Fluid, Autolusso Braided Brake Lines, MTech Short-Shifter, Autolusso Silicone Turbo-to-MAF Hose, Refurbed Q2's + Some to add later.

Last edited by baxter2308; 05-11-13 at 00:51.
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Thank you for the very useful information! Occasionaly I am driving though Europe and CC would be very handy!
My 156 is a 05 plate, I hope this means it has the wiring look for the CC controls. Anyone tried to retrofit in 156 2.4 20v?
AO Gold Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

The loom will definitely be there in a 20v - so just follow the guide above
AO Member

Excellent news! Driving to Greece and back without cruise control was quite disturbing..
I had a remap already, when I also add the cruise control I will go more comfortable and with less fuel.

Great thread, extremely usefull information.
AO Member

County: Surrey
Garage

Member car:

GTV 2.0L JTS

whats vdc?
AO Member

VDC is a vehicle dynamic control. Stability control in simple english.

Today I installed the cruise control switch with the lower cover. Connector was there, it was very easy.
Got it from ebay for 48 pounds. Already tried and tested. The only thing someone needs is 2 screws for the switch.
AO Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

2003 156 2.4 jtd

Hi All,

I have got the parts and fitted them during my lunch break at work, but no light. It there anything I have to do to give the ECU the appropriate kick to notice its new toy? Pretty sure i have dont it all correctly and prety sure the white connector it a one way fit, so I couldn't or put it in back to front? (I hope)

Any pointers gratefully received.

Matt
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage
Would one from a 166 2.5 V6 work? In a 156 2.0 Selespeed...
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81972a View Post
Hi All,

I have got the parts and fitted them during my lunch break at work, but no light. It there anything I have to do to give the ECU the appropriate kick to notice its new toy? Pretty sure i have dont it all correctly and prety sure the white connector it a one way fit, so I couldn't or put it in back to front? (I hope)

Any pointers gratefully received.

Matt
My light didn't come on at first. I took it for a spin and it lit up and started to work after about 1/4 of a mile.

I think that's fairly normal too.
AO Member

Member car:

2003 156 2.4 jtd

Cheers - an apologies for the appalling post - just noticed all the typo's.

Fingers crossed on the way home car will go - Bing - CC working
BOG
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Giulietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81972a View Post
Cheers - an apologies for the appalling post - just noticed all the typo's.

Fingers crossed on the way home car will go - Bing - CC working
Check your clutch switch is working properly. ie it's protruding out far enough to make contact with the pedal.
AO Member

Member car:

2003 156 2.4 jtd

All sorted last night - got in the car after she had been parked up for about 4 hours, started her up - Bang, nice big green light.

One happy bunny
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Finally "found" the white connector.
Well, in fairness, I never found it, a friend did. Where I had the cover off three times, and discovered nothing.
He found it in ten seconds flat. Not sure if I hate him now. :mygrin1:
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
I obtained a cheap 147 stalk and fitted it yesterday. I had an old 166 stalk in the shed and that has the correct plug, so I fitted the wires into that for a non soldered plug and play fit.

When I turn to on the green light shows up and the speed can be set. The + and - buttons do as expected but it seems the resume function isn't always working. I've electrically tested the switch and that all seems fine.

Another odd thing. With the cruise in the off position if I press ANY of the buttons (+ or - even the resume) first the cruise then won't turn on - no green light. System only works if I turn the ignition off and on again

Any thoughts?

2005 Facelift 156 JTS

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
control , cruise , definative , guide , retrofit