Retrofit Cruise control - the definative guide - Page 17 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

AO Member

County: Roscommon
ordered mine yesterday from Autolusso new for 112 pounds incl tax+p+p to Ireland.
If your patient they also have used ones once in a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Roscommon
oh yes, works fine
AO Silver Member

Think I posted on here up to a year ago - last quote I got from my nearest dealer was something like Ģ120 for the stalk wish I did it when the thread started and I had the money! if only I had the time then!

they didnt know about the individual part/part number, and wanted me to buy a whole kit of stalks - when I gave the part number he was happy and even wanted me to buy it asap and tell him if/how it worked when done! -he said he would tell every 156 owner who called him for any parts... he was trying to be polite when he said the 156 was a bit old so there would be limited interest in such a fix! but he was intrigued
AO Member

County: Flevoland

Member car:

156 1.9 JTD 2002

lol, how naive...
he does know that the 156 is produced over 650.000 times?
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

Hello just introduced myself elsewhere and need some help with fitting cruise control.

Are there two different stalks and two different white plugs for 156s and 147s?

Having read through this thread I had understood that a stalk was a stalk, not having seen any mention of different styles and connectors. So I bought a set of 2003 147 stalks expecting they would be the same as 2003 156 stalks and have the same plugs - they don't. My car has a white plug, oblong in shape and pin sockets in two rows the 147 stalk has a flatter connector with all the pins in one row. More than that the lights/wipers stalk set-up on my car doesn't appear to have a "space" for the cruise stalk to clip into.

Where have I gone wrong? As I have the complete 147 stalk set-up can I get the steering wheel removed, swap the lot over and sort out the plug connections somehow.

Any advice gratefully received.
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.9 JTD 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post
Hello just introduced myself elsewhere and need some help with fitting cruise control.

Are there two different stalks and two different white plugs for 156s and 147s?

Having read through this thread I had understood that a stalk was a stalk, not having seen any mention of different styles and connectors. So I bought a set of 2003 147 stalks expecting they would be the same as 2003 156 stalks and have the same plugs - they don't. My car has a white plug, oblong in shape and pin sockets in two rows the 147 stalk has a flatter connector with all the pins in one row. More than that the lights/wipers stalk set-up on my car doesn't appear to have a "space" for the cruise stalk to clip into.

Where have I gone wrong? As I have the complete 147 stalk set-up can I get the steering wheel removed, swap the lot over and sort out the plug connections somehow.

Any advice gratefully received.
I bet the functions are the same: cut off the connector, measure which wire does what, buy some wire shoe's and connect them piece by piece

voila!

EDIT: First measure, then cut ;D
AO Member

Member car:

Thanks I've just been out looking at doing that - BUT -
1. The wires are completely different colours so I'll need to know which connects to what.
2 Where the rear screw fitting on the 147 CC stalk needs to go, there is a great big multi wire connector in the way on the 156.

How easy/possible would it be to swap the entire stalk assembly over? Assuming the connectors on the back of the two clusters are compatible.
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.9 JTD 2002

you need to measure:
http://www.google.nl/imgres?q=multim...g0u3oBg&zoom=1

Itīs tricky but you can find the carīs wires in Elearn.

My English isnīt sufficiant to explain thoroughly.. maybe someone else here can explain it better..
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanscorp View Post
My English isnīt sufficiant to explain thoroughly.. maybe someone else here can explain it better..
Thanks, your English is much better than my Dutch
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.9 JTD 2002

Quote:
Thanks, your English is much better than my Dutch
shame on you!
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Just joined the retro fitted cruise control club

Apart from the two fiddly screws, it really is a doddle

It didn't recognise it immediately but 2mins down the road I had a new light on my dash and a redundant right foot
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.9 JTD 2002

And once you have it, you don't want to drive without it anymore
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecnarfi View Post
Just joined the retro fitted cruise control club

Apart from the two fiddly screws, it really is a doddle

It didn't recognise it immediately but 2mins down the road I had a new light on my dash and a redundant right foot
They are fiddly aren't they.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
County: Memphis
Garage

Member car:

A galleon

sorely tempted after 4 long recent journeys
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.9 JTD 2002

ever disassembled a wrist watch of modern day smartphone?

suddenly those fiddly screws in the steering column arn't so fiddly anymore, rather huge :P
AO Member

Member car:

Thanks to Petrolhead747 in this thread

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...g-problem.html

I've just been able to rewire the 147 CC stalk I have to the white socket in my 156 and now the CC works - WooHoo!!

But I had to chop the rear bracket bit off the stalk 'cos it had nowhere to fit on the back of my 156's lights/wiper stalks, in fact where it should have fitted there is a great big multi wire connector.

Still with a bit of fiddling it's all been made to fit - all I need to do now is cut the notch for the CC stalk out of the lower cowl and refit that.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Thanks to Petrolhead747 in this thread

I've just been able to rewire the 147 CC stalk I have to the white socket in my 156 and now the CC works - WooHoo!!

But I had to chop the rear bracket bit off the stalk 'cos it had nowhere to fit on the back of my 156's lights/wiper stalks, in fact where it should have fitted there is a great big multi wire connector.

Still with a bit of fiddling it's all been made to fit - all I need to do now is cut the notch for the CC stalk out of the lower cowl and refit that.
I had the same problem, not sure what car the stalk came off but I cut the rear part of the bracket off and then cut a slot out off the bottom cover. I made a template and carefully cut the shape out and then used files to make fine adjustment. The sockets were different so I used a computer connection and soldered then in, job done.
I am very happy with the job.
The wiring for mine is as follows
Green = Purple+Black
Red = Purple
Blue = Yellow+Pink
Orange = Orange
Yellow = Orange+White

Last edited by Philjay50; 22-08-11 at 08:08. Reason: added info
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
sorely tempted after 4 long recent journeys
Your age car should just be plug and play mate. My late 53 plaet was
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
Your age car should just be plug and play mate. My late 53 plaet was

So long as you get the right plug

I thought that from reading this thread and bought a 147 stalk to fit on a 156 - THE PLUGS ARE NOT THE SAME - and neither are the colours of the wires.

You need to read the other thread linked to above
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.9 JTD 2002

@Type930

Can't send you a PM because your inbox is full
allready awnsered twice so hope you read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type930
Hello Sanscorp:

I’m Daniel, from Spain. I’ve read your post about cruise control installation in a car without the plug under the steering wheel. I’m interested in do the same.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ml#post3404276

My car is a 2002 Alfa 156 JTD 115 like yours, with infocenter, esp, asr & silver radio&clima.

Reading your post I understand I’ve only to put a 5 wire cable from the empty pins of the ECU to a stalk, that’s right?

Could you tell (or show) me where is the ECU located and its pin numbers? The jpg’s you posted don’t work at this moment.

Next week I’ll visit scrapyard for an Alfa cruise control stalk & plug. If it’s possible, I’ll try to cut the wires from the ECU plug.

Thank you so much (and excuse my untidy English )

Best regards

Daniel

Hi,

I'm sorry, been busy for the past weeks and forgot to awnser.

I don't have the JPG's anymore but every car is different: download and install Elearn: the workshop manual for your car and you can find all information you need in there.

First check if you allready have a cable running to your steering column.
If not, THEN you need the ECU pinout and pull your own wires.

Look real good because the kind of hid the cable, not wanting us consumers to cheaply install the CC stalk ourself. An AR dealer asks arround the 200 - 600 euro's for building in the CC stalk when it's really just a matter of connecting the cable in most cases...

Elearn can be found here, but you do need some computer knowledge (mount the ISO with Daemon Tools Lite)
Index of /~manual/Workshop manual's ----> Alfa Romeo 156 eLEARN.rar (same as below in the manual.

Dutch short manual I wrote myself (run it trough google translator, I'm lazy now :P)

korte handleiding hoe het werkplaatshandboek te installeren. (short manual)

Download en installeer Daemon Tools Lite: (download and install daemon tools)
Disc-Tools.com

PAS OP met welke vinkjes je aan zet bij het installeren! geen startbalk of startpagina aanklikken dus goed lezen.
ook kiezen voor de "free version" i.p.v. "payed version" (de-select all advertising and searchbars and default start pages etc.)

Download elearn hier: (download elearn here)
Index of /~manual/Workshop manual's ----> Alfa Romeo 156 eLEARN.rar

Installeer WinRAR: (install WinRAR)
http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar401.exe (gratis) (Free version)

1. Open Alfa Romeo 156 eLEARN.rar het bestand dat in het venster staat (.ISO) naar bijvoorbeeld je bureaublad. (open the rar file and extract the ISO file to let's say your Desktop)

2. Open Daemon tools, er verschijnt nu een nieuw icoontje (bliksemschicht in een rondje) naast je tijd rechts onderin. (Open Daemon Tools and mount the ISO file, in your system tray, next to the clock, there's a ligtningbold, dubble click it and browse to desktop)

3. Klik 1x links op dat icoontje en kies in het menu voor "apparaat 0 ["Schijfnaam"] Geen Media" (right click lightningbold and choose "device 0, no media")

4. Ga naar je bureaublad (waar je dit ISO neergezet hebt) en dubbelklik er op. (browse to desktop and select the ISO file, this mounts the image, making your computer believe there's an actual CD in the drive and thus fooling your computer)

5. Elearn word gestart, volg de installatie en start daarna op je bureaublad Elearn op. (Elearn starts, install it, every time you want to start Elearn, mount it first with Daemon tools)

LET OP: Elke keer als je Elearn wilt gebruiken moet je de ISO "mounten" zoals dat heet.
Dat is dus stap 2, 3 en 4 opnieuw uitvoeren: daarna kan je middels het icoontje op je bureaublad Elearn starten.

Eenmaal in Elearn, moet je wel even de juiste taal, auto en bouwjaar selecteren. (In Elearn, select the language (default is english) and select the right model/year.)

hier kan je alles opzoeken hoe je iets moet doen en waar de boutjes zitten.
Als je op papier al denkt "waar begin ik aan?!" dan moet je het vooral laten

Extra info: The ECU is called "M10", try searching it in the field "Code".
It's a bit difficult to find everything at first but you will learn
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
I got some idea to share and I would like you guys to let me know what do you think about that. As I changed original Blaupunkt radio for mp3/usb one got multifunction steering wheel buttons not in use... Im thinking to to try connect cruise controll wire with them and use as cruise control ones. Don`t you guys think it will make life easier... Won`t need to pay 50 - 90 quid for stalk. As i remember most of Bmw`s got multifunktion steering wheel with cruise control.
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.9 JTD 2002

I'm going to do the same thing, it is possible: everything that has normale switches (on when pressed, off when released) is usable as a CC stalk.

My LEGO CC stalk is giving up after 1,5 year and 40.000km of service.
The 26th of this month I'm getting a secondhand steeringwheel and connect the CC to the wheel

p.s. you are, most likely, able to convert the radio controls to your new radio with a cable.
So IF you want to keep the steer control buttons, it's worth a look to see if there is an adapter cable for your radio.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
I got some idea to share and I would like you guys to let me know what do you think about that. As I changed original Blaupunkt radio for mp3/usb one got multifunction steering wheel buttons not in use... Im thinking to to try connect cruise controll wire with them and use as cruise control ones. Don`t you guys think it will make life easier... Won`t need to pay 50 - 90 quid for stalk. As i remember most of Bmw`s got multifunktion steering wheel with cruise control.
No I don't think it would make life easier from a plug and play system. Might make it cheaper but not easier and you could have just bought the adaptor for the back of you new stereo and used the old crontrols rathr than adding a spurious stalk. Costs about 9.99 usually from ebay As for cruise control stalks you can get them about half price second hand
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.9 JTD 2002

I definitly think it would make things easier but I think personal taste does play a role here.
Every time I have to take my hand of the steeringwheel is one too much.

With CC inside the steer and the on/off switch on the dashboard for safety, and me having a CarPC with no need for steercontrols(!) I choose for the CC intergration.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanscorp View Post
Every time I have to take my hand of the steeringwheel is one too much..
what about changing gear then. should have bought a selespeed

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
control , cruise , definative , guide , retrofit