Retrofit Cruise control - the definative guide - Page 15 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

AO Member

County: -
147 Retro Cruise Control

I have just purchased a 2008 147 Selaspeed Lusso, but was disappointed to not see cruise control, it turned out to be an import. But with low miles & a bargain price I grabbed it. But before I parted with my cash I had the dealer remove the lower shroud to look for the connector block. Yippee! it's there & better still, I have picked up a 3 stalk unit on Ebay for pennies. Initially I was going to remove the steering wheel to fit the full unit. But thanks to the previous threads I will separate the stalk & just fit the cruise control stalk.

Anything for an easy life. It's great to be back in an Alfa

Although my last 147 was riddled with problems from an auto that constantly dropped me in neutral usually in the path of a Juggernaut!! plus niggley electrical problems then the head blew which signaled the end of that relationship.

Then later I bought a 156 2.5 growler with the Q box system Fantastic!

Thanks guy's for a great site with many great topics.

I'll be back

Striving For Perfection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by KvnLyle View Post
I have just purchased a 2008 147 Selaspeed Lusso, but was disappointed to not see cruise control, it turned out to be an import. But with low miles & a bargain price I grabbed it. But before I parted with my cash I had the dealer remove the lower shroud to look for the connector block. Yippee! it's there & better still, I have picked up a 3 stalk unit on Ebay for pennies. Initially I was going to remove the steering wheel to fit the full unit. But thanks to the previous threads I will separate the stalk & just fit the cruise control stalk.

Anything for an easy life. It's great to be back in an Alfa

Although my last 147 was riddled with problems from an auto that constantly dropped me in neutral usually in the path of a Juggernaut!! plus niggley electrical problems then the head blew which signaled the end of that relationship.

Then later I bought a 156 2.5 growler with the Q box system Fantastic!

Thanks guy's for a great site with many great topics.

I'll be back
Let us know how you get on retrofitting it to a 147. I'm pretty sure its not quite so straight forward but I hope you prove me wrong
AO Member

Success With Cruise

A Most Definite YES

After reading the initial article I removed the cruise control stalk from the complete 3 stalk unit I had purchased for my 147. I already knew that a plug was there so it was then a simple case of removing the outer cover (3 screws using allen keys) the locating the stalk into position, which can be a little fiddly even though I had seen it in place before I removed it from the old unit. I believe this helped immensely, it's a pity I didn't take a photo for your benefit, then I replaced the screw holding the stalk in position. Then a simple cut out is required to allow for the addition of the cruise control stalk & then test it!

Beautiful a little green light appears when you have cruise fitted, obviously you have to be moving before this shows then use the + to set the speed & you are away.

So I was pleased to not having been forced to remove the steering wheel, which I had originally thought (as I had the total unit containing 3 stalks washers, lights etc.

Someone once told me that Car Manufacturers these days always fit a complete wiring loom for every conceivable extra there is, whether the final car uses the options or not.

This was certainly the case for me, but if in doubt simply check to see if there are any spare plugs for the unit you wish to have fitted & the chances are the plug will be there.

I'm a happy bunny now Thanks to "ARF"
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
A Most Definite YES

After reading the initial article I removed the cruise control stalk from the complete 3 stalk unit I had purchased for my 147. I already knew that a plug was there so it was then a simple case of removing the outer cover (3 screws using allen keys) the locating the stalk into position, which can be a little fiddly even though I had seen it in place before I removed it from the old unit. I believe this helped immensely, it's a pity I didn't take a photo for your benefit, then I replaced the screw holding the stalk in position. Then a simple cut out is required to allow for the addition of the cruise control stalk & then test it!

Beautiful a little green light appears when you have cruise fitted, obviously you have to be moving before this shows then use the + to set the speed & you are away.

So I was pleased to not having been forced to remove the steering wheel, which I had originally thought (as I had the total unit containing 3 stalks washers, lights etc.

Someone once told me that Car Manufacturers these days always fit a complete wiring loom for every conceivable extra there is, whether the final car uses the options or not.

This was certainly the case for me, but if in doubt simply check to see if there are any spare plugs for the unit you wish to have fitted & the chances are the plug will be there.

I'm a happy bunny now Thanks to "ARF"
Excellent, great news

And no flashing mileage on the speedo?
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

After reading this thread I am keen to try this on my 2007 147 Sport Q2, however not so keen on the "flashing speedo". I have checked and indeed have the white wiring loom clip, will this work i.e plug and play? if so can you let me know the part numbers, have looked through the post but only appear tobe 156 part numbers.
Cheers all

County: Denbighshire

Member car:

My 147 (2008 Sport) does not have a flashing mileage after I fitted this. The part number for the stalk on a 147 is: 735365522 (at least that is the number on the box) and cost me around 70 new from the dealer- took 2 days on order. For the timebeing I have modified the cowling, so did not buy this part but was quoted 20 (sorry I don't have the number for this). It really was just plug and play!
Club Member
Membro Premio

If anyone wants 147 stalks I can do them a lot less than the new dealer prices. I was almost certain cruise control functionality would have to be programmed into the body computer but perhaps I'm wrong?
AO Member

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

to Pud237:- How much can you supply cc stalks for the 147 please and are they new or used?
AO Member

Yes No Flashing Speedo on my recent retro fit. All I see is a ghostly green clock image reminding you that you have it.
So No removal of steering wheel, I think that only occurred when the battery connection was removed
But if the wiring loom is installed & the plug is there, then everything should be ready to roll when new items are plugged in.

So I now have a unit containing the plate where the 2 stalks are for the lights,wipers & indicators if anyone has a need for them. You can even fit a new cruise control onto it if you wish!!!!
Good Luck & Enjoy
Kevin
AO Member

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

where abouts does the green clock image appear? I cant seem to see it on my speedo
think I should get myself down to a dealers and order the cc stalk.....

Member car:

Yea, I couldn't see the green clock before I fitted the cruise control, but now it illuminates everytime I start up the 147 and every time I switch the cc on. It is next to the speedo somewhere at the bottom but I doubt you'll see it.
AO Member

Yeah the clock only shows itself when you connect the new stalk. I think the position is around the inner part of 4 o clock if that makes sense. The cruise has to be activated though & obviously to do this you need to be moving. (the vehicle not you)
I just went down the lane initially to test it, at around 30 to 40 mph should do it. The light illuminated when in use & goes out when its turned off.
As for other cars it is definitely worth a look. As for getting hold of one checkout ebay or see PUD347 who say's he can supply but no prices showing yet!
I got mine complete with all the stalks as a package for 49 delivered. You just need to ensure it is the same model & year as yours to be safe. Even if you do get one, and in the event it doesn't work then put it back on ebay. Simple Yes
Good Luck
Kevin
AO Member

County: Merseyside
Quote:
Yeah the clock only shows itself when you connect the new stalk. I think the position is around the inner part of 4 o clock if that makes sense. The cruise has to be activated though & obviously to do this you need to be moving. (the vehicle not you)
I just went down the lane initially to test it, at around 30 to 40 mph should do it. The light illuminated when in use & goes out when its turned off.
As for other cars it is definitely worth a look. As for getting hold of one checkout ebay or see PUD347 who say's he can supply but no prices showing yet!
I got mine complete with all the stalks as a package for 49 delivered. You just need to ensure it is the same model & year as yours to be safe. Even if you do get one, and in the event it doesn't work then put it back on ebay. Simple Yes
Good Luck
Kevin
Ah so it was you I was bidding against Kevin! Glad it worked for you, just got to keep my eye out for another one now!

Member car:

Adruss85 - I see you have exactly the same model of 147 as mine - I loved the spec, but like you, I felt that cruise cont would finish it off nicely and it does - good luck with your bidding!
AO Member

Sorry Adruss85,

I was determined to have it, but even more pleased to see that I didn't need to mess with the steering wheel & Airbag etc. Thanks to this forum & in particular this thread. You can see by the number of entries going back over a year.
It is a little fiddly but well worth it. Good luck on your bidding & search
AO Member

URGENT NEWS COMPLETE ASSEMBLY FOR CRUISE CONTROL NOW ON EBAY 51 GRAB IT NOW CHECK OUT EBAY Item number: 170553394157
Item specifics - Car Parts & Accessories

All you do is check under the dash for the plug. Then remove the Cruise Stalk then fit it to your car & there ya go
AO Member

Member car:

Right, sorry to be maybe covering some old ground but I just need some things clearing up.

With the 147 (mine is a 1.6ts lusso from 2003) its just a case of getting a stalk and fitting it to car/connecting white connector and then change lower cowling. Turn on ignition and off and back on - then off I go?

Hi to you all - first post - go easy on me!

Member car:

If I were you, I'd check you have the White connector and that there are switches on the break and clutch pedals first, if that's the caes, should be just fix on the new stalk, plug in and away you go! Worst case, you can always put it back on Ebay if for some reason it dosnt work - Good luck!
AO Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmoff View Post
If I were you, I'd check you have the White connector and that there are switches on the break and clutch pedals first, if that's the caes, should be just fix on the new stalk, plug in and away you go! Worst case, you can always put it back on Ebay if for some reason it dosnt work - Good luck!

I took the gamble anyhow - ordered stalk and lower cowling - came from ebay complete with all the screws (guessing the seller knew what he was doing which was amazing help) for 55 inc postage -

Fitted in about 20mins - took for test drive and pressed the + speed button and a little green illustration of a speedo came up and its all working fine.

Hope it helps.
AO Member

Rock On Tommy

Rock On Tommy

No stopping you now bro

I know it might appear difficult but it's not, maybe just a little fiddly getting the new stalk in the correct position. But it you have the white connector, then the chances are that a new or second hand stalk can be added with no removal of the wheel.

Remember it would be costly & impractical for a car manufacturer to build different wiring looms for every single car. So they through in a complete loom for almost every extra imaginable. That way a car can have bits & bobs quickly added. But with places like Ebay you can check, try & if success illudes you then re-sell on Ebay with little or no loss. Who know's you may even make a profit
Take care & enjoy you passion

Member car:

Great isn't it - a 300 extra for around 50-60 and 10mins fiddling around!
Unregistered

County: Bucuresti

Member car:

159 2.4/156 GTA

i installed the cruise control stalk on a 147 1.9 16v 150hp. it had the white plug, everything went nice and smooth. recognised it after about 3 min of driving at over 30 mph or after i played with all the switches.

no km flash, no errors.
AO Member

Another with cruise control retrofit on an 57reg JTDm Sport. Off with the cowling and it clicked into place!

Pud237 sorted me out with a stalk at a great price and great service - couldn't recommend enough!

County: Attica

Member car:

147 2.0TS

Greetings from Athens Greece. Suffice to say you have an excellent forum
Just learned about how to retrofit cruise control and wanted to check with you the part numbers:
LHD stalk 735293305 or 735365522 ?
cover port 735293341
Any chance i get the kms flashing or its plug and play?
I have a 147 2.0TS FL. Thank U

Last edited by georgiou.cr; 14-11-10 at 19:54.
AO Member

147 Retro Cruise Control

Hi Georgio,

Yeah Plug n Play it is, I would suggest you contact Pud237 as he seems to be able to assist you with the bits n bobs, I only fitted the cruise control stalk & then cut out the required hole to allow the stalk to fit like a glove, although you can buy the cover if you wish.

But I have yet to hear of anyone having real problems, it's what all cars are geared up for ie. having a complete wiring loom fitted to allow for most additions such as cruise control to be fitted at a later stage.

Good luck & Enjoy!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
control , cruise , definative , guide , retrofit