Retrofit Cruise control - the definative guide - Page 12 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

County: Bedfordshire
glad it works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaxeman View Post
Nice one

Did you have to do anything to get it to work?
Nope - just plug and play.

I think because I use the car so often (1000 miles a week - ) the ECU had not had chance to recognise it.

Last Thursday was the first time I had not used the car for about 12 hours and Friday mornin I started her up and up came the light!

Lovely
AO Member

Hello all - me again!

Right then, the cruise control is working (as such) but now I seem to have a problem with the fact it is intermittant?????

Sometimes it comes on when I start the engine and sometimes it doesnt

Could this still be part of a dodgy brake switch?

I am waiting to get AlfaDiag and a cable so i can sort any errors that may be present.....

I can get you a switch if need be just PM your car details etc ...
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Autolusso have got a 'fair number' of the 156 CC stalks inc screws - 40 quid delivered - no cowls though. I've just plugged mine in, no green light yet. I found the back screw is easier to put in than the front one - just do it lying on your back and get a torch on the situation. The front one was a bast because of the steering wheel getting in the way!

Edit - took it for a drive, cruise control was working fine but still no light. Got home, turned off, turned key to MAR and turned the CC to on position and hey presto - one green light, bottom left in the small panel between the speedo and rev counter. Many thanks to all the contributors on this thread for an easy upgrade!

Last edited by ExBrick; 24-10-09 at 15:08. Reason: It works!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
We've not got many 156 cruise control stalks - got a few left, but not half as many as 147 cruise control stalks. Its a shame they are different and not interchangeable.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Thanks to every one on this thread, I brought the cruise and cowling from my local dealer. Just pluged in and play, ECU recognised it straight away, took me longed to find the right screw driver in the shed. Ace bit of kit. Very impresive with the way it holds the speed up/down hill and the transition between the system and manual take over, very smooth.

AO Member

Final update,

After getting AlfaDiag and the lead from Rarebear, I have found that it is definitely the brakeswitch that is at fault! If I clear the fault, the CC works perfectly straight away. Unfortunately the problem does come back within 20 minutes of driving.

As the car is still under warranty, I am getting them to replace the brake switch this Friday (along with the thermostat which appears to be open) and sort out a loose exhaust!!!

I will probably have to get a print out from AlfaDiag to prove that is at fault but thats no bother.

If anybody needs any diagnostic help using AlfaDiag in the Berks area, give me a shout and Im sure we can meet up somewhere convenient
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

I'm seriously thinking about this lil mod for my 156 JTD, my only concern is; if the ECU has to reboot to recognise the cruise control, will it affect my remap?
CJO
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losparx View Post
I'm seriously thinking about this lil mod for my 156 JTD, my only concern is; if the ECU has to reboot to recognise the cruise control, will it affect my remap?

The ECU does not re-boot - just turn on to MAR leave for a few seconds to give the ECU time to see the new equipment, turn off leave for a few seconds, turn on and drive away and the ECU should recognise that it is there - remember that it will only work when the speed is greater than 30 mph and you are in 3rd gear and above
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by losparx View Post
No - remap will be unnaffected.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
For info if anyone is considering taking the leap, the latest prices for the 156 parts are:

Stalk (156047955) 73.36

Cowl (15603354) 12.95

All plus VAT of course.

Just ordered mine from Donalds and got their 10% (pre VAT) discount.

AO Member

County: Sachsen

Member car:

Delta III 1.9 TT

If i get it right the CC does not work on a 2003 pre Faclift (without the Dual Climate and Stuff).
Is this correct?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Sheep View Post
If i get it right the CC does not work on a 2003 pre Faclift (without the Dual Climate and Stuff).
Is this correct?
Should work on any 156 from the mid-2002 mini facelift onwards. So as long as you have the 'silver dashboard' type interior, it will work, you don't need the Giugiaro front end.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOX1C View Post
For info if anyone is considering taking the leap, the latest prices for the 156 parts are:

Stalk (156047955) 73.36

Cowl (15603354) 12.95

All plus VAT of course.

Fitted today, all works well. A few dramas when fitting as the screw to fix the control was too small and only sitting in the plastic, a larger screw fixed the problem. Also the cowl did not have any screws holding it together, need to get some self tappers to replace the wood screws!!
AO Member

Member car:

Delta III 1.9 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Should work on any 156 from the mid-2002 mini facelift onwards. So as long as you have the 'silver dashboard' type interior, it will work, you don't need the Giugiaro front end.
in other words it wont work on mine
i do have an EURO3 Engine, but still have the old interior (without the Bord Computer, dual climate and stuff....)....
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Stalk (156047955) 73.36

Cowl (15603354) 12.95

All plus VAT of course.

I called SGT in Maidenhead just now for us southerners, their price:

stalk 77.03 +VAT

Cowl 'around 25 +VAT, I forgot to note the price'

ouch for me, more than 100 is a no go
AO Silver Member

to add, they thought I was mad and strongly advised me buying said parts were a mistake and it would not work!
I told them about the site and success rate, they went "ooh interesting, let me know if it works when you do it!"

Last edited by mo 156; 18-02-10 at 15:38.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo 156 View Post
to add, they thought I was mad and strongly advised me buying said parts were a mistake and it would not work!
I told them about the site and success rate, they went "ooh interesting, let me know if it works when you do it!"
It's been said many times that the cruise option only works with the face lift interior; so SGT could be correct.

My total cost came to 93 and a few pence including shipping from Donalds - can we still talk to them??
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Sheep View Post
in other words it wont work on mine
i do have an EURO3 Engine, but still have the old interior (without the Bord Computer, dual climate and stuff....)....

You could double check ... take off the cowling under the steering wheel and on the left hand side see if there is a white plug with nothing plugged in ... if there is get a piece of wire and link pins 3 & 1, the green light on the dash should come on ... if it does then bingo
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
It's been said many times that the cruise option only works with the face lift interior; so SGT could be correct.

My total cost came to 93 and a few pence including shipping from Donalds - can we still talk to them??
The prices you've posted add up to 101.41 inc VAT, then I would expect postage on top of that.

I can supply the parts new - I don't have any prices to hand but I will find out for you all.

I have no used stalks or cowls in stock though.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I forgot to say I mentioned this to SGT as I read this thread when it started all those years ago! They said it shouldn't work on any car 156/147, I explained the basics mentioned here, facelift 156 etc. At the end of the chat he was dead curious.

and I still have no money to do it!I should have done this the moment the thread started!
AO Member

Member car:

Delta III 1.9 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
You could double check ... take off the cowling under the steering wheel and on the left hand side see if there is a white plug with nothing plugged in ... if there is get a piece of wire and link pins 3 & 1, the green light on the dash should come on ... if it does then bingo
I'll check that, thank's for the input
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

I am wanting to order the parts for cruise control, but i am not sure what to order so i need a little help, my car is a 156 on a 04 plate, 1.9 16v JTD multi jet. can i have cruise control and if so what do i need and the part number?

thanks

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
control , cruise , definative , guide , retrofit