Qu's on 147 selespeed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 13-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Qu's on 147 selespeed

1. When driving say at 40 mph, I guess I would be in 3rd or 4th gear, can I accidentally change down to 1st or does the gear box not let you. I am not saying I want to do this, but its just new car, you want to fiddle, find out what you can and can’t do.

2. The car I have has sensors or something up behind the rear view mirror, its likes a little round black raised bit, about the size of a £2 coin or maybe bigger. What is it?

3. Whats roughly normal MPG for a 2.0 litre selespeed?

That’s it for today

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Re: Qu's on 147 selespeed

The car will not let you change down to a gear that would cause damage to the engine or gear box.

There is a problem with the early Selespeed (my 1999 156 - not sure if the software was changed for later models) where you can change down at the same time as the computer changes down (ie when braking ) causing it to change down 2 gears. I had this a couple of times when changing from 3rd to 2nd and ending up in 1st at about 20mph !!!

MPG on my car is poor because I always have the AC on full and mostly town driving - I was getting less than 400kms a tank

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17” GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

wont let you change down if its to dangerous to do so, ie, it would take the revs over the limiter. mine sometimes changes down 2 at a time when the comp and i do it the same time, but it never lets me go to a dangerous gear?

mpg on mine is awful because it is running heavily modified, however, when i bought it new the on board computer was reading an average of about 32mpg!
AO Member

The one thing you need to be careful about is that the selespeed will automatically change down at 1000rpm. This is great when you know you have to come to a complete stop (e.g. traffic lights) when it will eventually select first gear. But if you are approaching an intersection and not stopping completely and a tightish space appears you MUST downchange yourself because if you decide to floor it just as it is changing from 2nd to 1st it will just rev as if in neutral and you may find yourself stranded in the middle of the intersection!
Global Mod Team
County: Milano

I think the sensor is a rain sensor for the wipers, standard if you have the lusso model (I seem to recall).

My mpg was not great, but I was doing only city driving.

Like everyones says the selespeed system won't let the engine over rev so if you attempt a downshift and it's not safe to do so (over revs) then the computer will say NO !!!!!!!!!!!!! and it will remain in that gear

And yes it sounds like you have the rain sensors fitted, optional extra I beleive, not fitted on my 02' selespeed.

I do mixed driving town/country/motorway and mpg is about 30 ish and that includeds a bit of spirited driving when condtions dictate.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , selespeed