Suspension squeaks when hot - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 13-09-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Suspension squeaks when hot

I have recently bought a 147, 03 reg 1.6. When driving it for 15 minutes or longer there are really loud squeaks when it goes over bumps and round corners. It sounds like it is coming from the driver's side front suspension but any ideas why would it only do this after it has been warmed up and driven a while?

Also there is a lot of heat felt to the rear of both front wheels, which can be felt when exiting each of the front doors. Anyone know if this experience of high heat usual?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Suspension squeaks when hot

I had similar symptoms on my 156, it wasnt the upper wishbone as that was brand new, which seemed to be related to my engine over heating due to knackered radiator, thermostat, sender and cooling fan resistor. By over heating I mean 110C. Having cured all those faults the noise is nowhere near as frequent. However, have just found out that one of my front shocks is at 0%, so Im replacing all the front end suspension either this week or next to cure for another year or so.

Be aware though that creaking squeeking and groaning is all part of being an alfa owner

156 2.0TS SP3 LHD >145,000Km Alfa Rosso - With cured kangaroo (courtesy of a 15 quid clutch switch Thanks for nothing Alfa )
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Sounds like a wishbone rubber is going, probably the top one.

The heat could just be the backwash from the radiator fan if its running at the time. My V6 nearly roasts me if the fan is on when I get out
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

could also be the anti roll bar bushes wearing, they produce a squeaking noise as they wear out
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 veloce

It`s probally just the bushes, they tend to dry out in the warm weather. If you get underneath and try soaking them with a hose this may help.
I had the same problem which my local mechanic told me was as above. A few days later we had a good downpour and after driving through a few good big puddles the creaking stopped !!
However..after a few more days of warm dry weather the creaking was back !!!
Not a lot you can do unless you want to spend some money and have them replaced.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

hot , squeaks , suspension