bit of advise please. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 11-09-06 Thread Starter
bit of advise please.

I am looking at buying a 156 1.8 TS. It has only 36,000miles and is on a 51 plate. The car has been serviced and stamped up by Mangoletsi. I called my local service centre (Central in Dudley, West Mids) about cam belt changes and they stated 3yrs / 36,000 miles. Nothing in the service history mentions a cambelt change so I called Mangoletsi and was told 5years/ 72,000miles.
So from first registration the car will be 5 years in Jan 07. How do you think I stand if the cambelt lets go before Jan 07 ?
The car also has a couple of little niggles (well it is an Alfa), air con not blowing cold, nsr window not working, osr window very slow, looks like it needs discs and pads all round and will need tyres all round in the not too distant future. Oh yeah also due a service.
What sort of price should I be looking at paying. It is in nice overall condition, veloce model with leather.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Re: bit of advise please.

About 3500.00 - with the belts done and all the faults fixed.

The belts are on borrowed time already.
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
Re: bit of advise please.

Who's selling it? Sounds like whoever it is at least needs to do a service before it goes out and to fix the faults.

Surely the big M would know about the 3 year cambelt, they would no doubt 'inspect' it though if the car went to them for a service, this is no good as a visual inspection of the tensioners and belt is not sufficient, it needs to changed now, especially as it's 5 years old or so now.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advise , bit