Front Suspension shocks,upper & lower arms replacement - Howto? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Help Front Suspension shocks,upper & lower arms replacement - Howto?

Have lots of articles and snippets but have never seen a link to someone who has dont shock, springs upper and lower arm replacement, so could do with a few questions answering unless someone has a FAQ?

Have a 2001 156 2.0 SP3 that has done 130,000 KM total, 60,000 on Italian, 65,000 on British and now French roads. Having just had it equivalent MOT'd here they found one shock was 0% and the other 30%, so time to renew.

Looking at all the posts its time to replace the upper and lower arms at the same time and I was thinking the springs have probably had it as well?

I was planning to replace with alfa parts rather than get uprated equipment, mainly because my wife will have a fit with the bill as is. Have the sportpack suspension and was very happy with it, but its naff handling now due to all the movement. Was gonna try shop4parts or ebspares unless anyone can recommend somone else who will ship internationally?

My main concern is the shocks as the last time I did any I was 15 and my dad helped me and thats 20 years ago. Big question is can I undo the bolts holding the shock at the top and at the bottom strut without fitting spring compressors?

Looking at other posts with pics recently I think thats the case; their doesnt look much space to fit them, but I dont want a shock absorber flying at me!

One last question is how do I know the track rod ends are still okay?

Any helpful advice much appreciated, started spraying easing oil today
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Re: Front Suspension shocks,upper & lower arms replacement - Howto?

There's a PDF on my website with some info about the arms ... but never touched springs/shocks. Also I wrote it from memory and didn't take any pics so the one on their was "borrowed" and has some annotation that isn't entirely relevant.

Springs will probably be fine. I was getting a lot of scraping on speed bumps and thought the springs had gone. But after changing all the arms, it was much better.

I bought my parts from EB.

I think you will need to get some spring compressors if you decide to do shocks and springs ... hire them?

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Platinum Member

Halfrauds sell 'em at @ £17. Not tooooo bad considering the labour you'll save.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 11-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks for the reply I'd already found your useful guide during my 'can I do this' phase . One question though, did you need spring compressors to hold the spring in place once the upper ball joint had been split and the bolts disconnected from the top?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

arms , front , howto , lower , replacement , shocks , suspension , upper