Handbrake cable has snapped - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 06-09-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Handbrake cable has snapped

Hi all, the other day in my Alfa 156 1.8 TS i pulled up at home just putting on the handbrand and it snapped or something happened no force was applied just the normal press in and lift up manouver.

now i went to my local auto supplies shop and they said that this car has 3 handbrake cables.

when i try to put the handbrake on now there is no resistance at all it will easily go upwards right to the top but the handbrake light still comes on when i lift it above the resting position. (when the key in in the ignition im meaning)

my question to the guys who know these cars well is how will i tell which cable is to be changed my father has said he has a bit of time on his hands and will give it a try changing the cable. i dont want to go and purchase all 3 cables then find they are hard to fit and i only needed the first one.

has this happened to anyone else or could anyone shed some light on a solution i would be greatful.

thanks mark.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Re: Handbrake cable has snapped

If one of the two rear cables have broken then you should be able to tell by pulling on the cables from the side of the car. Thet reachable an dthe broken one will be pretty obvious. They may already be hanging down as it tends to be the end of the cable that actually comes off. I think these are the easiest to replace.

If it's the one from the handbrake, then it isn't so easy to spot without getting underneath.

You or your Dad members of the AA or RAC?? Drive a few miles away and call them out. They can do the grovelling and tell you!

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cable , handbrake , snapped