Flat Battery Stereo Conflicts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-09-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

Help Flat Battery Stereo Conflicts

I have a '99 156 which had the original Alpine unit it in. Car ran fine started everytime, no problems.

Then i changed the stereo head unit and thats when my battery problems began...

Battery was draining and consequently car wouldn't start... Reading through the forums I thought I would switch the switched live and permanent live as this seems to be an issue with some units. Unfortunately still no joy - so after 3 jump starts (which can't be healthy for the car) I called an auto electrician (which I possibly should have done in the first place). Turns out the orange wire in the original ISO block is the switched live and for some reason the original Alpine has two permanent live wires. So after two hours of investigation and much frustration I thought the electrician had solved my problems... until I went ot start her up this morning and the battery was flat again!

I'm hoping that this was my stupidity in not taking her for a spin after the electrician had breathed life back into her and that after my lenghty commute today she will be fine...

My thoughts are;
1 - will the battery be cream crackered after so many jump starts and should I just replace it (its still the original Battery)
2 - Is there something else draing the battery? Are there any known gremlins that are a quick fix?
3 - what is the correct fuse rating for the heater/blower? There was a 30amp one in but after consultation with Bosh website the electrican changed it to a 10a and now the blower is a little asthmatic...
4 - Why are Alfa's never easy?! Still love them though
Sponsored Links
happy man
Re: Flat Battery Stereo Conflicts

Had a problem like this with my last GTV.

1. Battery is 7 years old Mine was about the same with loads of jump starts IMO replace it.

2. Known gremlins. Boot light, door puddle lights (not sure if the 156 has) Registration plate light cabin courtesy light. there may be more that's all I can think of.

3. Get your manual out and find out what the rating should be I think 30 is most likely.

4. We love em no matter what because we have been infected with the rare Virus Alfaspirillium
AO Member
Re: Flat Battery Stereo Conflicts

Hi mate, i also have a '99' 156, and have started to find a few gremlins with the electrics.

With regards to the stereo, even if the stereo you fitted was working on a permenent feed, it should not have caused any problems as long as it was turned off at night or the facia panel had been taken off.

A fault i have just found on my 156 is that the rear interior light has started comming on randomly and the switch on the light itself wont turn it off, neither will the doors opening and shutting, it just decides to switch off after 10 or so mins. Check to see if yours is doing similar as this may be the problem.

If you think the battery is cream krackered, take it down to a halfords store and ask them to give you a battery test, this is free, when they do it ask them to explain what it is reading so you know if there trying to rip you off, and ask to see the reading.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

battery , conflicts , flat , stereo