FS : 2005 Alfa Romeo 156 JTS Veloce - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 06-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
FS : 2005 Alfa Romeo 156 JTS Veloce

Colour : Grigio Chiaro ( 612/A ) ( Silver )
Mileage : 75388 ( at the time of writing this )
Tax : to Jan 2014
MOT : to 3rd Dec 2014
First registered : June 2005
Owners : 2 ( including current )
Registration year : 05
Engine : 2.0 (1970cc) JTS ( Petrol )
Gearbox : Manual
Cambelt last changed : July 2012 ( < 10,000 miles )
Interior : Blue/grey leather
Wheels : 16” multispoke.

My wife bought this car in May 2006 and has, with the exception of the last two services, been maintained by the independent dealer from whom it was purchased. The last two services were undertaken by myself with the major 2012 service changing the cam belt, balancer belt, their idlers and tensioners. Cam locks were used.

This has been a super reliable car for us and has not had any significant faults during our ownership. We will be very sad to see it go.

The sides are virtually ding free owing to the car generally being parked in nice wide disabled bays and the car has not suffered any impact necessitating repair whilst it has been in our ownership ( and probably not in its first 11 months although that is only my opinion ).

Features :
Dual zone climate control ( fully working! )
All windows electric
Remote boot release
Both keys ( one currently missing its AR badge )
No warning lights on.
Does not squeak going over bumps.
New front discs.
Recently new windscreen & battery.
Curtain, side & front airbags + pretensioners

Serviced by independent from purchase to 2011.
2012 : big service including cam/balance belt, tensioners/idlers by myself
2013 : small service by me
Thermostat changed Jan 2012 (system flushed + new red antifreeze @ 50%)

Issues :
Doors lock and boot opens from the remote but the doors do NOT unlock*.
Front badge could probably do with a change
Chrome peeling off handbrake button
Crazed paint on the off-side rear bumper and some adjacent bodywork indentation where the car was hit in a car park.
Some corrosion apparent to the wheels when examined closely. Very little kerbing.
Some scarred paintwork at the base of the near-side front bumper ( this was my wife’s doing ! ).
Stone chips commensurate with age.
As with all JTS engines, it does burn some oil but it is not excessive. Probably in the region of 1 litre per 3,000 miles with 10w40. This can be minimised by using 10w50 or 10w60 oil as AR recommends for JTS engines over 50,000 miles.
Some wear evident on driver’s seat bolster but limited to loss of colour. No tears or burns on any seat.

MOT advisories :
Rear brake pads thin : I estimate there’s about 4mm of material left on each pad so not really a big issue at this time.
Undertray insecure : One corner is fastened with a tie-wrap owing to the undertray having fractured at the normal mounting hole ).
Undertray fitted obscuring some underside components : Standard clause where undertrays are fitted.
Front brake discs badly worn : These have been changed for new discs since the MOT so it is no longer an issue.

Other :
Tyres : Front have a few thousand miles left ( Pirelli P6000s ), rear almost new ( Toyo Proxes T1R ).
To my knowledge, nobody has ever smoked in this car.

Photo gallery here ( all photos date from late Dec 2014 ) :
156 Slideshow by pkr1 | Photobucket

Specific photos :
Crazed/damaged paint on rear bumper –
and related panel damage –
Driver’s bolster wear –
Scarring at base of front bumper –
Instrument pack with engine running –

The interior is scheduled to be cleaned – I needed to catch the light for the photos and I ran out of time. I’ll also remove the sticker from the rear bumper.

* I have traced the fault with the doors failing to unlock to the receiver under the rear parcel shelf. I have tested the output of the device with an oscilloscope and it shows the lock signal being generated on the relevant pin, but no output on the unlock pin. There are no obvious circuit board faults so the device would need to be replaced to fix the problem. As this involves learning the keys, we reluctantly decided to live with the fault. The alarm still functions correctly.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 2005 , alfa , jts , romeo , veloce