Has anyone 'chipped' a 156 2.4JTD? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 06-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Norfolk
Has anyone 'chipped' a 156 2.4JTD?

I have a 150 bhp 2.4 JTD and have wondered about chipping it up to 210bhp and wondered what the insurance ramifications would be; and mechanically, would I be opening a can of worms?

I've heard that the integrity of the drive shafts could be compromised with the extra torque.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5V6

Hi. I have a 156 2.5v6 that was chipped. the insurance cost will go up, and failure to declare it to your insurance will make claims null n void.
The increased pressure on the drive shafts will cause issues and up maintenance costs as well as engine stress to increase.
I took mine out, was fun for a bit, but my drive shafts took the brunt of this.
Not worth it in my opinion, it can also put strain on the gearbox, diff. And I am not sure what it could do to the turbo on that diesel motor and that's an expensive fix.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 06-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
Yes, thankyou, that's more or less what I thought, but needed someone to confirm it - you know, one of those heart over head possible decisions.

After all, I do have the 748 if I want to go really fast ;-)
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
drive shafts can be a soft point on the 156s, but if you put out more power than the car was designed for you're going to come across some issues along the way.

210bhp sounds a touch optimistic for power output as well. the 24jtdms in the 159 get that out of them and they're much more advanced and have double the amount of vales etc as well.

you're welcome to get it mapped, plenty of people do, so long as you don't over-do it then it won't be the end of the world, just expect some things to wear out a bit quicker than normal.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

The 2.4 10v in the 156 is about as robust as Alfa / Fiat have made a diesel engine.
Its the simplist design and should hit 200hp using standard parts with just a decent map.

But as others said it will eat up drive train parts quicker. Not as bad as the 1.9 16v made to do the same or the 2.4 20v that using GM drive train parts.

Remap to a safe level of 180hp and everything should be fine. Find a good mapper like Gus and go from there. Least you get decent honest advise.
Authorised Trader

The 10v 2.4 JTD will stand a good remap. The drive shafts are not normally an issue on this engine. The clutch may well be the weak point.
To much is made out of the BHP on remaps. It should be the drive ability that should take priority. A lot of BHP quoted can not be used on the road and will be unachievable.
You need to make your insurance company aware of the modifications carried out.
We carry out ALFATUNE remaps here.
If interested PM or give me a call on 01603 426277

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 24jtd , chipped