Is the 156 JTS 2002 2.0 a good car? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Gold Member

The problems of the JTS engine, particularly the early ones up to around production date April 2003, are widely documented on several sites.

Essentially, on the earlier engines, there were significant issues with the fuelling of the cars, particularly associated with the ECU programming (fuel parameters) and the inlet camshaft. Alfa Romeo recognised the problem, and duly revised these components for on going production. However, there has never been a formal acknowledgement of the problem to customers, and consequently there has never been a recall to replace these components for the earlier cars.

For an in-depth discussion of this topic, please see the following:

Alfa Romeo forum: JTS low power problem resolved

Last edited by Spider95; 11-01-14 at 18:17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Norfolk
From my experience, many people who slag off Alfas have never even driven, let alone owned one and I think the same is equally true of the JTS.

If I was looking for another car I'd certainly buy another JTS engined one. In fact, with the exception of my Alfetta GTV, I've kept my 156 JTS longer that any other car I've owed over the past 30 years.
AO Member

County: -
And just for the record, never had a problem with fueling in regards my 2002 156 JTS.

Likewise power delivery. Was never an issue.

The problem in mine was the amount of oil it burned.

Overall though, great engine. It's not a Toyota though. Needs regular checking for levels (monthly at the very least).

AO Member

County: Perth and Kinross
hi
i had a 2.0jts sportwagon and loved it. just regular servicing kept it sweet
AO Member

County: Tipperary
They are a good reliable car. We'll done and good motoring.
wlu
AO Member

County: Fyn
Yes it is a wonderful car 7 years, 220.000 km and I still love it. Got the SW, beautiful from any angle , there is a reason why this car was choosen at an art museum exhibition as one of the most beautifully designed cars ever.You´ll smile every time you see and drive it. Those ignorants stating it´s failing too often have never owned one , they all drive boring cars . .It has never failed me not in minus 25 degrees celcius not in heavey snow or rain . Just look after the car and fix any minor problems.
Alfa Romeo 156
William Lutken
I cant bring it to the US , where I live now thats really really sad.
Unregistered

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanaSaphira View Post
Is the 156 JTS 2002 2.0 a good car?
Well mine is, 40MPG+, Happily tows its own wieght and has cost me £400 in the 3 years I've owned it, including the purchase price.
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

alfa156jts

Great to see some positive comments for a change , most of the problems are of the german influence of course its a conspiracy you know
AO Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0 JTS

I'm only a few months into my JTS 156 ownership (first Alfa experience) but I would really recommend working through the problems if there are any and sticking with it. Sometimes you'll find you don't have to spend nearly as much money as you think you do. In my experience the quality and quantity of oil is the issue, as many people have pointed out - and often new coils or just a service can iron out niggles.

Economy is excellent - cruising along on the way from Kent to Bristol yesterday I averaged 39mpg. Far better than the 1.6 Renault Laguna I've just parted company with!
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

I'm so interested in the JTS and how it drives differently. If any one has one round the midlands that wouldn't mind me having a test drive I'd really like to see the difference.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Wizard View Post
The negative comments often come from people who don't take the time to understand the car; they then get upset when there are problems. As with any car, there are common issues which need to be looked out for. I don't have a JTS, mine is the earlier twin spark, but there several threads on here about the potential issues. Do a bit of research, keep it serviced and don't be tempted to skip cambelt replacements every 36000 miles. Make sure you check the oil level every week and before/after a long run, as some engines do use more oil than you might expect. It's not a problem, just a fact of the engine design.

Otherwise they are great cars, and will always make you smile. Well, almost always.

There are many helpful people on the forum who will gladly give advice when you need it.

Enjoy!
Wise words. All cars have their own distinct foibles, and Alfas are no different. If you know what to look for (and listen out for) then you'll know which ones to avoid.

Having had my 156 Tspark for 7 years It's only now starting to show its age.

I've had a number of cars with dodgy reputations: Dolly Sprints, Lotus Elan 2+2... and none have given me any agg.

IMHO, it isn't the cars that are faulty but the owners who pick up a duffo.
AO Member

County: Shropshire
Had mine for four and a half years. Bought at 27000 miles, sold at 87000. Lovely car - smooth, refined, great high speed cruiser. Didn't have the perceived grunt of my pevious 2.0TS. Two coil packs and one throttle potentiometer in the 60k I had it (and a cam belt change of course). Drank more oil than any other car I've owned (including competition cars). Look after it and it will be fine. Swapped mine for a 3.2 GT - wife preferred the JTS.
Unregistered

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlfaMan213 View Post

Economy is excellent - cruising along on the way from Kent to Bristol yesterday I averaged 39mpg. Far better than the 1.6 Renault Laguna I've just parted company with!
My last run to Glasgow and back gave me a 700 mile run on a tank, C/C set to 70 and just flowed with the road.
AO Member

Member car:

alfa156jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic penguin View Post
Wise words. All cars have their own distinct foibles, and Alfas are no different. If you know what to look for (and listen out for) then you'll know which ones to avoid.

Having had my 156 Tspark for 7 years It's only now starting to show its age.

I've had a number of cars with dodgy reputations: Dolly Sprints, Lotus Elan 2+2... and none have given me any agg.

IMHO, it isn't the cars that are faulty but the owners who pick up a duffo.
Dolly sprint now that was a great car when I was 20 a early jts which as you say just needed proper maintenance still miss overdrive , my alfa is even damm near tahiti blue as well.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamat4 View Post
Dolly sprint now that was a great car when I was 20 a early jts which as you say just needed proper maintenance still miss overdrive , my alfa is even damm near tahiti blue as well.
Still is a great car. 0-60 in 8.5 secs (if running right), and the first family saloon to have a 16valve engine. Time moves on and they are quite rare, especially in good condition.

They had a bad rep for blowing head gaskets. Never had any issues with mine.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellysocks View Post
My last run to Glasgow and back gave me a 700 mile run on a tank, C/C set to 70 and just flowed with the road.
How big is your tank?
AO Member

County: Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slog View Post
Had mine for four and a half years. Bought at 27000 miles, sold at 87000. Lovely car - smooth, refined, great high speed cruiser. Didn't have the perceived grunt of my pevious 2.0TS. Two coil packs and one throttle potentiometer in the 60k I had it (and a cam belt change of course). Drank more oil than any other car I've owned (including competition cars). Look after it and it will be fine. Swapped mine for a 3.2 GT - wife preferred the JTS.
Hehehe.. what is it with wives??? I bought a GTA and mine still prefers the JTS..

Not sure whats going on there...
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Probably the fact the GTA looks more aggressive and drives so.
Also power delivery will be far different from a V6.

Personally I love the V6 its effortless. I really would like another.
Unregistered

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willber G View Post
How big is your tank?
When you drive at a steady speed and smoothly then economy is at its best. And on that trip I averaged 48.6Mpg.
Unregistered

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Probably the fact the GTA looks more aggressive and drives so.
Also power delivery will be far different from a V6.

Personally I love the V6 its effortless. I really would like another.
When did the GTA stop being a V6?
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

I was talking about the 4 pot JTS having a different power delivery than the V6 GTA.
THe 4 pot to most ladies will probably be something far more familiar hence why they would prefer it. Even if the V6 is actually just better all round (Bar weight) as an engine in totality.
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
There's no way you can get sustained 48mpg out of a JTS at 70mph, unless you drop it from a plane.

I got 38mpg at 65mph, and I was trying.

Apart from that, I agree that the JTS is better than a cursory read of these forums would suggest. If starting with a good one, injectors are the only major recurring problem.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbat View Post
There's no way you can get sustained 48mpg out of a JTS at 70mph, unless you drop it from a plane.

I got 38mpg at 65mph, and I was trying.
That's about the best I can manage as well over fairly flat terrain.

Also, 700 miles at 48.6mpg would require a 14.4 gallon tank...
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

JTS though is just a TS with a different head and injection system.
Least the 2.0L is anyway.

So you get all the negatives about the TS (Bar 8 spark plugs) with the added annoyance of the Injectors from a diesel in some way.
But generally I believe it gets bad press.

The TS engine is a little fragile when compared to other engines of similar output and layout.
It could have so easily been a much more robust engine if a few of the issues could have been ironed out.

Still I can't believe the JTS is any worse off than the TS and the additional MPG and torque delviery must be a welcome change from the TS range of engines.

Regards
Scott
Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
AO Member

Member car:

alfa156jts

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic penguin View Post
Still is a great car. 0-60 in 8.5 secs (if running right), and the first family saloon to have a 16valve engine. Time moves on and they are quite rare, especially in good condition.

They had a bad rep for blowing head gaskets. Never had any issues with mine.
Nor me thrashed it ran sweet as nut just like my triumph stag no problems proper maintenance prevents ****poor running

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , 2002 , car , good , jts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page