156 Selespeed Hi Revs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 24-08-06 Thread Starter
Not Happy 156 Selespeed Hi Revs

Cleaned Throttle Butterfly The Week-end, Now The Revs Are At 2000/2500 When Standing Still And Irregular When Driven. Bests Way To Explain Is It Running Away, Like In The Old Days When You Forgot To Put The Choke Back In. I Have Had The Car 2.1/2 Years And Thought I Best Start Getting Her Back To New! Will Need To Cambelt And Variator Soon Too.

Anyone Help? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Re: 156 Selespeed Hi Revs

What did you do to clean the throttle?

The elctronic throttle on thge Selespeed is very tempramental and is very easily damaged. I've only ever cleaned mine by taking the rubber hose up to the butterfly off and spraying it with carb cleaner. That seems to help running. Have a look at it when the engine is off. It should be closed completely with a tiny bit of play in the throttle butterfly away from its stop. If it is open a little or flapping it is sick.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire

Assuming you haven't broken the plastic gearwheels inside the actuator, you could try resetting it on a diagnostic system. Then reset the throttle with the "90 second" trick.

One option: Take the idle actuator off the side of the throttle - held with three torx screws. Holding the butterfly fully closed, put the actuator back (carefully!). You will need to locate the pin on the end of the butterfly rod into the small hole in the idle actuator cam. This may return it to the closed position. Then reset the throttle with the 90 second trick. But be very careful as the internals are pretty delicate.

Having said that, mine survived this last year and has been working fine since.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 25-08-06 Thread Starter

Thanks For Your Suggestions- But Problem Solved. The Reason I Cleaned It (full Of Sludge) Was Poor Performance Especially When Cold (and Low Revs). Feed Back I Got And The First Thing To Try Was To Relearn The Idle Acruator! Ign On Throttle To Floor For 90 Secs Turn Off- Ign On Do Not Touch Throttle For 90 Secs- Turn Off And Start. Job Done. Now Running A1 Got The Poke Back.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , revs , selespeed