156 (1.8) Air box removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Help 156 (1.8) Air box removal

Hello boy & girls

Been reading your forum for a few weeks now and now I need your help!

The air filter housing has 2 sheared bolts in the top and I've started the process of removing it...but not succeeded!

So far I've taken off the pipe that contains the famous cone, the bracket that sits under the battery tray and a bolt that I had to remove the inner plastic wing guard to get to (it was at this point I realised the housing was a bit bigger than I thought it was!).

All (useful) advice much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: East Sussex

Member car:

GTV 3.2 V6

Re: 156 (1.8) Air box removal

The resonator should be clipped into the airbox - it will come off with some twisting and pulling or you can carefully prise it off using a small screwdriver under the clips. The curved pipe is screwed to a plate under the plastic wing guard if I remember correctly. You may need to jack the car up on that side to provide enough clearance when removing the resonator from underneath. Obviously remove undertray first (and make sure it goes back on afterwards)!

Re: 156 (1.8) Air box removal

Remove the battery and battery tray. Will take about 5 minutes. It then gives you loadsa room to get the main box out. The tray doesn't come right out without moving and disconeecting stuff but you can tilt it to give enough room to pull the box out the top rather than jacking the car and trying to get it passed all the pipes. The resonator will come out the bottom of the car with a bit of twisting. Be careful of the aluminium power steering pipes that run under the radiator, they seem to be a bit fragile

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , air , box , removal