Or "i need two cup holders in my life"
Ok, just had a fiddle with this and its really easy.
Disclaimer: Its not my fault. if you're crap at this sort of thing, get a grown up to help you...
: another cup holder/cubby tray (£10 on ebay till this catches on then the price goes mental!) , small screwdrivers (terminal is good), patience.
Right, you can see my issue straight away, i have clothed mine in 3M grey carbon and the one i bought, well, wasn't. So, i got the narks straight away, but....wait...
1) Remove the cubby and the cup holder from your car. usually involves some wiggling and some swearing.
2) Place the old one (patient) and the new one (donor) next to each other and you will notice that the tray fronts are tapered. More on that in a minute....
3) Look on the top of the patient cup holder unit and you will see two little tabs that hold the tray in against its spring. These will need GENTLY lifting to allow the tray out. The spring will now fall out. dont lose it, you need it!
4) Now do the same with the donor unit tray.
5) You should now have a patient with a cup holder missing and a donor with a cubby tray missing. Have a mineral water to celebrate. youre nearly there....
6) The tray fronts are removable. Win. If you look at the back of the tray front, it has little tabs on it, that hold it to the actual tray. GENTLY prise the two front parts from their respective trays. There is a small plastic "lug" that needs to be removed to make the 'wrong' front fit. look down the pics, you 'll see what i mean. Trim it off.
7) Swap the cup holder and the cubby tray front pieces over and clip it to its new owner.
8) Grab that spring and look at the front of the holder and you will see a T shaped slot. It sits in here. If you have a doubt, look at the undisturbed one on the original cubby tray.
9) Do yourself a favour here and clean out the cubby trays and put a blob of grease or vaseline (oooer mrs!!) in the change over latch. i guarantee its dryer than my sense of humour and some lube will make it happier than a happy thing.
10) With the spring in its slot, line up the tray and push it home till it clicks.
11) Put that mineral water down and grab a cold beer. your work here is done.
12) put it back in the car and try and find a use for it.
Hold tight and i'll put up some pictures to help you on your mission...
(pics taken afterwards and you have to excuse the double cup holder!!)
Donor and patient--------can you see the tabs?
Tabs reflecting the light--Gently does it!!!
Ping boing "where did that go?"