Replaced MAF, reset, its different/worse - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Replaced MAF, reset, its different/worse

Okay, long story cut short.

My 99 TS Sele has been a little breathless at low RPM for some time. A reset didn't help. I picked up a new non-Bosch MAF and plugged it in. I disconnected the battery for the day and then re-connected and dod the throttle reset thing (90secs on 90 secs off) then started it with no throttle pedal. I let it idle for a minute or two then the phone rang so turned it off and went indoors. End of the day.

Today, turned it on and went for a run from cold (The cars main issue was hesitation cold and general power loss on light throttle at any temp.) It drove like a dog!

My new problems!

When I pull off from a junction, the car will sometimes pick up well (better than before) and hare off, or judder and be generally gutless. On onw occasion it stalled.

Selespeed gear changes are not as smooth as bofore and at cruising speeds (about 60+ mph) the car sometimes judders a bit.

Now to my question. Is this likely to suggest that my new MAF is stuffed in a differnt way to the old, or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Will disconnect the battery overnight and properly reset in the morning. Hoping this might help!

Any ideas gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

Re: Replaced MAF, reset, its different/worse

Sounds to me like the Lambda or Temp Sender Unit could be at fault - I've had both changed in the last year due to similar running issues...

I couldn't be bothered trying this, or trying that... I just took it in for a diagnostic (at the local Alfa indi garage) - and the faults came up instantly.

Parts only, from a stealer - Lamda is about 90 / 100. Temp sender is about 15.00.

Good luck in getting it sorted.
AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire

Sounds like you may have similar problems to mine.

My 2.0 156 hesitates under 2750, terribly so when cold. New maf, new plugs, new leads, new lambda sensor etc. all have not helped.

When I get to the bottom of it, I'll post the reasons.

Sounds like you haven't let the ECU relearn yet.

After the throttle reset you should let the engine heat right up from cold.

Remember, the ECU has to relearn what to do with all the sensor readings from cold to hot, different air temps/mass and different throttle positions from gentle to full blat. There is a lot to relearn as all the temps have to be relearned with all the different throttle positions and different air masses. Takes a while. You might actually find that the car gets funky for a bit in the winter as it won't have learned the air mass and temp readings for an icy cold day.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

different or worse , maf , replaced , reset