Help Required Please - Possible Flood Damage :-( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 23-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cumbria
Help Required Please - Possible Flood Damage :-(

Hi Guys,

I am quite new to the alfa world. I joined the site on purchasing my new car around 6 weeks ago.

It is a alfa 147 lusso 1.9 JTD - Really nice car and it has been a pleasure so far.

The problem - Saturday night i was driving and there was a (Puddle / Flood) In the road. It was not very deep and every car was taking there time going through the middle of the road.

I got through no problem, went to a pub for a meal. Left the pub started the car. Drove home via another town (Had drove around 20 miles) Then suddenly i heard aloud air type noise.

I stopped the car had a look, i was quite sure it was a lower split turbo hose. I could drive the car but did not have acceleration power and didnt want to go over 2000 revs.

I drove the car home. Parked Up.

The next morning i came out and was going to remove the turbo pipe that was damaged and replace but the car would not start.

It sort of attempts to start and then just doesn't.

I am hearing that it may have been a bent conrod, but most people say the car would stop and not be able to drive home.

Where do i start? I am going to try removing the air filter etc.

I would like to keep this car so any help on ways to move forward would be greatly appreciated.

All electrics works.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
If you'd bent a rod you'd know about it! Can't help you any more than that I'm afraid!
AO Member
County: Highlands

Member car:

1. Dip the oil. If it's an emulsion and not 'oil' don't bother doing anything more and get it recovered to a garage.
2. If the oil is 'clean' then have a look at all the pipes to/from the turbo, make sure they're dry.
3. Take out and clean off/dry off the MAF and do the same to the MAP - you might as well.
3. Check the air filter isn't mush; if it is bin it and fit another.
4. Fingers crossed and start it.

The above worked when I got forced off the road into a flooded field in my Stilo JTD a few years back and 'much dampness' came into the airbox and such.

If it's a question of seeing if it's all OK then if oil is OK and no evidence of water everywhere I'd try disconnecting the MAF and seeing what happens when you try to start it.

Are you getting any error messages at all?

AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
It doesnt sound like flood damage, it would of played up immediately.

Was the lower hose actually split.? if it was then due to over fueling the egr valve might be blocked open, do the checks as advised above and also check in the air filter box for water and then make an egr blank out of a bit of coke can and see if it runs, you might get a warning message but at least it will run

Last edited by JON156VELOCE; 23-12-13 at 10:02.
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
If you had hydrolocked the engine, it would have stopped in the flood - you would not have driven 20 miles afterwards. Sounds very much like turbo hose or EGR. Reasonably simple to replace, but I think access is tricky (never had a 1.9).
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 23-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for your replies.

Today my dad re-set the car via battery disconnect and the 90 seconds things. The car started. He left it to idol for 15 minutes.

The car engine its self he says sounds okay. If he revs over about 1800 he gets black smoke as well as the car being bumpy engine still sounds okay. But like its trying to pull in air or loose air around the passenger wheel.

He took it for a little drive and said the engine seamed okay but no acceleration above 1800 or so.

Hoping this is not flood related. :-)
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 23-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
Sorry in reply to the early response there is no error messages.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

damage , flood , required