I think I have a problem, opinions please! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
I think I have a problem, opinions please!

Getting in the car in the morning it starts fine, move out of drive fine, then actually pull away and the car lurches, hesitates, kangaroos and bounces about all over the shop! After either sticking foot all the way to the floor at full throttle or just trying to accelerate really gentlytickling the throttle, it clears up and is fine. It will then be fine all day and may or may not happen again next day!

It hadn't done it for ages (about 2 weeks), but haven't used the car for a few days and it was hellish this morning!

Any ideas?

I've done a throttle and ECU reset and this has had no effect, I was thinking idle speed control valve, but the idle is fine! The problem doesn't bring up any warning lights at all. Car has done about 1000 miles in the last fortnight with no signs of this problem.

Any thoughts happily received!

Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: Milano
Re: I think I have a problem, opinions please!

Sorry Andy, no idea. I hope better informed AO members can respond and help you!

Possibly lambda, has the same symptoms on my old twinny but it would seem AFM is the usual culprit on 156s.

Does it coincide with a night of rain or anything daft like that?

AO Silver Member
County: Cambridgeshire

Hmm if you find there are flat patches in the rev band or the car feels under powered I would suspect AFM.

There's a post for cleaning the AFM that you can search on the site for. At least this will be free to try.

It does seem to be related to rain or when I clean the car!

I am also going to try and use another brand of fuel for a bit as I noticed that it didn't happen for the last two weeks or so while I was away and using whatever fuel was available rather than my usual garage (shell regular) Re-filled immediately before it was rested, and the problem came back! Have looked up MAF and AFM cleaning and seems risky! Will a good dollop of carb cleaner into the intake help?

Thanks for the suggestions.

AO Member

Member car:

147 Selespeed

Wave Re: I think I have a problem, opinions please!

Had a similar problem on my 147 Selespeed. Turned out to be a dirty/sticking throttle valve mechanism. This was cleaned and problem went away. It was a 5 min job - my friendly Alfa Indie didn't charge - too much bother for such a small job! If you do attempt this be very careful as you mustn't upset the valve that's in there (talk to it nicely).

Anyway, hope this helps.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

opinions , problem