Re: Air con pump
Thanks for all input.
I have now successfully replaced the knackered bearing for a total price of £90 including gas. Here's how.....
- Go to your local friendly air con man, get him to empty out the gas in your system.
- Remove pump - 4 bolts plus gas pipes ( might have to adjust the tensioner pulley to get belt off )
- Take off the pulley from pump
- Iside pulley is the bearing. This is the fiddly bit, the bearing is crimped in to stop DIY'ers, so you either have to put it on a lathe or use a small grinding wheel to remove them. Sounds complicated, but a doddle really. Then make up a little tool ( big bolt and ground down washer ) to pull out the bearing.
- Take bearing to your local bearing supplier ( man at air con place can normally advise here ). They will measure it and order a replacement of same size. Cost about £27
- Refit all above and get it re-gassed.
A lot better than the £600+ for recon pump and fitting