156 2.0L top end knock - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 04-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
156 2.0L top end knock

I have a 1998 2.0L 156 with 90k. Recently my lunatic son returned it with what sounded like a piston contacting a valve, a very loud but light knock from the top of the engine . Car ran on four cylinders and not blowing oil from exhaust or breathers.. Cam belt ok and have removed rocker box but valves and cams seem ok. Son admits speed had crept up - to well in excess of three figures. there was a considerable amount of oil around plugs for one cylinder (looks like leak from cam box gasket. - possibly causing a short.
Before removing head - which seems a pretty complicated task according to CD i have - does anybody have any ideas? Could a failed variator make this sort of noise or could plugs shorting out make the coils make a noise? Worst scenario would seem to be a little end which would mean a full engine strip down I guess.
Sponsored Links
Re: 156 2.0L top end knock

sorry to hear of your probs dude...hope all goes well
Re: 156 2.0L top end knock

Hello Patrick...we spoke on the phone eariler I believe

Sorry, missed this post, hello and welcome to the forum

As we discussed...possible belt slip, we've heard of cars doing this if they're bounced of the rev limiter (!), perhaps the tensioner has let go and allowed the belt to move as well.....time to visit JCS/Peak and get them to have a look

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 20l , end , knock , top