Anyone got Run Flat Tyres? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 03-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Something German

Anyone got Run Flat Tyres?

Got an icredible deal on Goodyear run Flat tyres

I think its a goodyear excellence its got the same tyre markings as excellence.But because the walls are stonger/thicker they felt heavier than the normal non run flat tyre.

Will such a tyre limit my speed?
Sponsored Links
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Premio
County: Bratislavsky
Re: Anyone got Run Flat Tyres?

I have never driven RunFlat on Alfa, but from what I have read, the tires are extremely hard. Especialy BMW is criticized all the tie for the ride with run-flat. They make your suspension uncomfortable. I wouldnt try them in low-profile sizes, they make your ride rock-hard.

The speed is not limited by run-flat, maybe acceleration is a little as they are heavier than standard tyres, but we are talking about so small difference you will definitely not notice it.
AO Silver Member
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Merc S320

Having driven BMW's 525d with and without the run flats I would never put them on anything with supposedly sporty intentions. The run flats destroyed the BMW's ride (made it comparable to a 156 over ruts and man hole covers) and caused the car to tramline excessively - my impressions compared to the car fitted with normal tyres. It may also be that BMW's implementation of the run flats is flawed.
AO Platinum Member

The other thing to remember is that you shouldn't fit them unless you have a tyre pressure monitoring system on the car.
Because they never look flat or to an extent never feel flat either you may not know that you do actually have a puncture/flat.
You are still limited to the speed and distance you can run with a flat run-flat, but if you don't know it is actually flat you will go over the limit and the tyre will fail.
AO Member

Got them on my 525d. I don't think you can compare the ride to a 156, it is still much smoother in the BMW.

No experience of non run flats on my car, but the boys on the E60 forums recommend changing the run flats to standard.

One of mine has a slow puncture, and at over 150 for a new 18" run flat tyre, I can't be bothered to replace it. I just wait for the tyre pressure monitor alarm to come on, and then pum some air into it when I get the chance.

You defiinitely need a monitor, otherwise you will never know when you get the puncture. You can drive for about 200 miles at normal speeds after the puncture, but you'd want to know if you had a puncture! I drove mine with only 19psi (normally 32).........I could not tell from the ride of the car.....only from the monitor.

There is some debate whether a run flat puncture can be repaired.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

If they made a BMW ride too firm I would imagine the ride on an Alfa would be rock hard, as Alfa's are quite firm to start with.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

flat , run , tyres