147 Gearbox replacement? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-08-06 Thread Starter
147 Gearbox replacement?

Hi guys....your comments on this would be very welcome.

On Saturday I was driving through town I changing gear from 2nd to 3rd....but it would not engage. Tried it gently, slowly, slightly forceful but the 3rd gear slot was just a brick wall. So I ended up driving 330 miles without 3rd (shame it wasn't 4th that went )

My Alfa garage looked at it yesterday and after an hour's analysis they said it's going to need a new box. It's a 2001 147 Lusso (only 21,000) and I have a few months left on my years warrantly so hopefully it's all covered under that.

The odd thing is....when I picked it up yesterday and drove out of the Alfa garage, it engaged 3rd gear fine. The box feels excellent. Whatever they did when they opened it up to look at it certainly has done something to fix it.

Does anyone have any comments or experience with gears not engaging properly?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 147 Gearbox replacement?

Replace the box.You will get a years warranty on it so it makes sense.The one you have in now could give trouble shortly after your warranty ends,then it is a good £1500 pounds to replace.
My Selespeed's went I had no warranty, so had to cough up,only for the new box to go four months later,which was under warranty and was replaced free of charge.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 02-08-06 Thread Starter

Cheers for that Jono.
I was kinda thinking it would be nice to get a new box out of it for free. Although if the warranty company approve it, they may need to send an engineer to check the car, and as it's working fine now.....they may say no....so will await the outcome.......not going to mention anything about it working fine now.
AO Silver Member

you were lucky - see my thread below on sticky gears - it seems exactly what you had is a common problem - there is a link to another thread on mine which explains its a simple job to replace the selector plate and rod that runs through it.

It would not suprise me at all that the technician had no clue and just replaced the box - all they are is parts fitter, not mechanics - when a £15 part would of done. But lucky you to get a new box! poor warranty company!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , gearbox , replacement