Loose Drive Shaft - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 01-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156Jtd Sp3

Loose Drive Shaft

Just had my car on ramps today to find out what the hell was knocking on the Front Drivers side and to locate a groaning noise from the Front Passengers side.
I noticed that my drivers side drive shaft has some lateral movement in it, the passenger side is solid in comparison. Could this be the cause and what do I need to do to remedy it?
As far as the creaking, I have sprayed a silicon lubricant around all of the rubber, but it is still there, could it be internal of the shock absorber?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear
Re: Loose Drive Shaft

how many miles has 156 done? the noise you can hear could be anti roll bar droplinks and the bushing, doe,s the noise happen at very low speeds over undulating road surfaces. you need to if possible drop the top arm,s to check if any play or noise on these as well,also try to drive on full lock left and right around in circles this should up any problems with your driveshafts,also when on the ramp try lifting the antiroll bar droplinks to feel any movement or knocking. these are the most common problems i have encountered working on them.
AO Silver Member

the noise if a hollow knocking over bumps is often the drop links. disconnect both sides and tie out the way to see - they won't show any free play by hand. My driveshafts are similar, with movement on the driverside, and it is the inner one, but its generally ok driving

the sqeek could be the antiroll bar bushes, did you lube those as well, they can be trickey to see/get at as they are behind the engine and above the subframe, follow the aR bar inward and you will find them.

also could be the lower arm ball joint cauing both noises - which means a new lower arm.

Hold the rear end slide....don't run wide!

156 2.0TS Veloce Lthr (02/02), silver, black Momo, BMC filter,V6 intake, DS2500 Front-DS Perf Rear pads, Conti sportcontacts, OMP strut Brace .

Built in Italy, on the last Friday before (hic) Xmas........:-/
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 02-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156Jtd Sp3

Thanks for advice, looking through the threads it looks like these Alfas are not the quietest of cars. Knocking is definately from the drivers side, will check the drop links next time its on ramps. The creaking has got quieter since i sprayed the area but is still there on the passenger side, it's more noticeable when you push down on the passenger wing slowly.
Car is a JTD with 73,000 on the clock and over 5 years old now, think I made more noise when I was that age!!!
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 51

Any progess with the knocking? Does it go away as car warms up at all?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

drive , loose , shaft