156 selespeed stuck in reverse - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 12-12-13 Thread Starter
County: Norfolk
156 selespeed stuck in reverse

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help? I've had a few problems with my selespeed of late. It's an old x plate 156 which is causing a few problems. The car has been in and out of the garage with various sensors being replaced, the most recent being the two selespeed sensors because the car was staying in gear when driving. Recently the the red light appeared on the dash to suggest there was a fault with the car. As I was only a few hundred yards from the home I drive home and called the garage. The mistake I made at this point (well I think I did) was to leave the car in reverse. When I next went to the car to take it to the garage it was stuck in reverse, which means it won't start. Diagnostics through a handheld suggest 560 (low voltage in the battery) and 480 (cooling sensor). I've checked the battery, which is new, and the voltage is fine, in accordance to what the local approved Alfa garage is telling me.

So the problem I have is the car won't start so I've got no way of moving it, unless I can get someone to put it on low loader.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -
I had similar problems like this and it could be caused by so many things, selespeed pump, accumulator, relay which is next to the battery and for that matter the sensors and the main cable also. I am trying to tell you that each item should be diagnosed and the problem will be identified by trial and error.

I do not exactly remember the remedy on my car but I went through of the above and it has been working perfectly ever since.........let me know what happens and good luck
AO Silver Member
County: -
When you open the drivers door, does the selespeed pump run? If the pump doesn't prime, the selespeed can't select neutral and so the engine wont start. You might find that tapping the pump will make it spring into life, or it might be a wiring or relay problem.
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

156 GTA & 156 Ti

The sad thing is, most garages have no clue about Selespeed and change parts in blind hope it will solve the problem and making the client pay for it.

You are better off letting us help you

First things first, does the pump run ? (can you hear a whirl) does it do this often (every three-five gear changes) ?or does it run constantly ?
Have you tried to disconnect the battery and connect it back ? have you tried with a new battery ?

IN any case, every Selespeed owner should have a copy of AlfaDiag and and OBD cable. reading the codes and graphs is invaluable in solving Selespeed problems.

2003 156 GTA Selespeed - Alfa Rosso + black multispokes, Eibach anti rollbars, Quaife ATB diff, 330mm brakes, Bilstein B12, De-cat wrapped manifolds + EQ downpipes + Ragazzon silencer, CDA intake, (carefully) removed interior & Sparco bucket seats + 6 point harness

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , reverse , selespeed , stuck