10 valve JTD auxiliary belt tensioners . . . . - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
10 valve JTD auxiliary belt tensioners . . . .

Hi Folks,
I have in the past year and a bit,purchased two 10 valve auxiliary belt tensioners,one for me and one for a mate,both were genuine Alfa parts and both had absolutely no grease in them!!
I found out about it on mine when it seized up after about 15 months,upon stripping it down,the main shaft and bearings were bone dry and going white and fluffy,as alloy does when it corrodes.The 'o' rings were obliterated but luckily the actual bearings were not very worn at all,so a quick clean and packing with grease and all is well.
I ordered another tensioner at the weekend for a mate who has just bought a 156 JTD and out of curiosity took it apart . . . . . surprise surprise NO GREASE!!!!
Both were genuine Alfa parts,bought from different suppliers,but it is no wonder these keep giving problems.
So if anyone has just bought a genuine Alfa tensioner and wants it to last,take it off and put the grease in it that Alfa should have in the first place!
Must be a nice little earner,over a 100 for a part that will last 18 months then need changing . . . . .
Not sure if non genuine ones are the same,but it has got to be worth checking them too!
Thought I would put this up,not sure if it has already been said,but hey, it may save someone a load of aggro
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

There have been some previous threads on this. Most people try to rebuild and re-grease the tensioners after they have seized by which time they have picked up some damage. My tensioner was a year old when I stripped it and it still needed new o-rings and lots of cleaning as it was starting to seize. However, its now getting on for 3 years later and its still fine. I would 100% agree with your strategy of stripping and greasing a new tensioner!! Someone even posted that it is possible to change the pulley bearing as well.

AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Same with the one I fitted a few weeks ago. The pivot bearings are PTFE lined and designed to run without grease; clearly they don't last this way though, I greased mine too.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 14-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
PTFE . . . . that would explain the lack of grease,but as soon as the 'o' rings deteriorate,water gets in and the PTFE gets worn away . . . .
I was very tempted to drill and tap a hole in the tensioner and put a grease nipple in!Quick pump with a grease gun,every so often and no seizing?
I think you are right Keith,about the damage already being done,it is worse if the tensioner seizes up,then gets freed off(with brute force,usually !) it then moves but has no lubrication and wears itself away,or starts to undo the big bolt. . . .In my experience if the centre part(where the bolt goes) isn't sitting exactly in the centre of the 32mm hex part,it will throw the belt off . . . . the steering is well heavy with no assistance,too A 5pk belt tho',wont be thrown off,it just runs on the inner five grooves on some pulleys and the outer on others!It got me out of trouble for a day or three!
I bought a new pulley from Mr Auto,as the original was sounding a little rough and had play,maybe it had had a hammering when the tensioner seized . . . .but a new one was only 21 delivered,it is the same as a Peugeot part,hence the price.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

auxiliary , belt , jtd , tensioners , valve