GT Suspension Problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 10-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Eastern Cape

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Help GT Suspension Problems

Hi, so this is the story...

My GT's suspension has started doing 2 things which I have no doubt are the result of the same root problem.

1) When cornering slightly harder than normal or when the car is under torsion (such as a diagonal speed hump or considerably uneven areas in the road) there is a "pop" sound from the suspension. I can't quite pin point where it is coming from but it is more than likely the front end.

2) When braking slightly harder than normal, like for a late change in traffic lights, but not near hard enough for the ABS to step in, it sounds like there is a jack-hammer going off on the right front foot well/wheel area. Its a horrible loud sound

I have had the wheels off and tried levering suspension bits to spot any unusual or loose movement but nothing seems out of the ordinary. I've checked that the brake calipers are tight and secured. She's also running straight and feels tight etc.

From the info I can find in the available threads it may have something to do with the anti-roll bar. Can anyone confirm or do you have any advice or ideas on what it could be? She has 3000km left till the 80 000km service so was going to just wait to have it looked at then but this noise is bone chilling so if its something bad then will rather take it in now.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
HI Jazg,

Was there any knocking previously? if the noise is from the foot well could it not be the lower wish bone arm?

AO Member
County: -
I have the same #1 problem when cornering right ... I suspect ARB is shifting off its position and knocks the drop link cause once when i went to see my mechanic, and he lift the car i sow the ARM next to drop link.

Anyway inform us if you find the solution
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
Keep us informed as most of us suffer or will suffer from these suspension knocks and groans.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 11-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Eastern Cape

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

Cool thanks guys, will keep you posted.

The ARB theory makes the most sense to me, will pass it on to the mech soon as I can. There wasn't any knock before that I know of, it just sort of started one day then a week later when I climbed on the brakes I heard the noise and started bricking it!
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
The best way to see if its the antirollbar bushes is to simply undo or remove one front drop link. Cable tie it out of the way and drive 100 yards. If the sound stops instantly its the arb bushes.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

knocking noise , noise , problems , suspension , v6gt