Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD Clutch Slipping Remedy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 03-12-13 Thread Starter
County: Norfolk

Member car:

147 JTD 16v

Wave Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD Clutch Slipping Remedy

Hi, I purchased a 156 2.4jtd Sportwagon last week, not having driven one before, didn't really know what to expect. I did have a 147 1.9jtd a couple of years back and loved it, so thought I would gamble on this cheap little run about.
30 miles into the 200 mile journey home I was on the dual carridgeway cruising at about 70mph which it does effortlessly! When an inconsiderate lorry driver decided to overtake another 3 lorries... yes, his lorry was capable of 56.1mph whereas the other 3 could only manage 56mph, so after sitting behind watching his long winded manoeuvre I decided to show him how its done, flawed it in 5th only to see the RPM gauge hit 5,000 but not the burst of speed I had hoped for! I tried a few times but knew straight away what the problem was.
I then drove the final 170 miles really upset with myself wondering how much a clutch kit was gunna cost and how much of a headache will it be to change?? I did think, this is the end for the old girl, she is gunna be a scrapper!!
But at the weekend I investigated and soon found that the top air hose, going into the butterfly throttle linkage had quite a bit of oil around it, followed that down and sure enough it drips down right in front of the small hole at the bottom of the gearbox/clutch bell housing...
I removed the EGR valve and cleaned that, as I knew that was probably blocked, and it was! Very much so! Cleaned the butterfly and all hoses etc, put it all back together, the oil leak is no longer.
To clean the clutch without removing it I jacked the car up, took off the small cover plate right next to the inspection hole, (only 2no. 8mm bolts) which gives you a sizeable access to feel just how oily the clutch actually was!
I then started the engine and proceeded to squirt into the hole as much de-greaser as I could, with the flywheel spinning round, this was going everywhere! Perfect!!
I then filled a squirty bottle with near on boiling water and fairy liquid and blasted that in there afterwards, to clean off the de-greaser.
Followed by a whole can of brake/clutch cleaner.
Took her for a test drive and 'Hey Presto'
She now has a new lease of life and goes like a rocket!
I've taken time to post this in the hope that I may save another poor old Alfa out there that would normally be going to car heaven.
Cheers! Wellzee!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , clutch , jtd , leak , oil , remedy , romeo , slipping