Which of These Tyres Should i Buy - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Gold Member
Re: Which of These Tyres Should i Buy

I has sport contact 2 on the 156 and they were poor for a premium price tyre.

Yoko's I had previously were downright dangerous (not the same as you are looking at though)

Dunlop Sport SP01A were reasonably priced and fine, P Zero Rosso's were good but now discontinued in 16 inch.

I put 17 inch Falken's on the 147, 70 each fitted, they seem as good (so far) as the puncture prone Potenza RE0 3's (105) they replaced.

The 159 is on P7's, which seem OK
Sponsored Links

Despite being a 156er rather than a 147 driver, just been through the same decision myself about two weeks ago. Needed all four replaced and searched site, and the wider web.

Heard the reservations about the conti's...?

I landed up phoning a selection of local fitters and getting quotes on several brands from options 1 - 6, didn't know anything about the Federal's.

I ended up gettin the Yoko C-Drives at 78 a corner fully fitted. Not the best price across the selection. I was swayed by reports I'd read.

The price has to come into it, including the distance you've got to travel - then the amount of your day you spend standing around.....

Only done a few hundred miles on them, so hard to evaluate. Road noise is low.... much better than Avon ZZ3's, definately wouldn't recommended those to anyone, the inside's were shot in the end.
AO Silver Member
County: Perth and Kinross

I'm sure that the South African tread compounds are different to those we get in Britain. It may not be a very good comparison to rate British reviews. The best advice would be from a fellow South African or an Australian IMHO.

That said, I've had poor customer feedback about the Conti Sports, and even the Sport 2s seem to be dissapointing. I seem to generally hear good things about the Yoko C Drives and F1 GSD3's. However, as the F1s, like Avon ZZ3s and Toyo Proxes all have a tapered tread depth, it may be best to avoid this if shoulder wear is a feature on your car.

If you're getting 56K on tyres, I certainly wouldn't grudge the extra for even Michelins.

The Federals are quite good for a budget tyre. But they are still a budget tyre.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Drive sideways- life's too short not to

Slip-sliding my way through winter. On four wheels and two.
AO Platinum Member
County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Originally Posted by Skillz
sportmaxx not available in my country.Had dunlop sp 7000d.Will never buy them again.
I'm sorry for you since the SportMaxx have nothing to do with the 7000. They are one of best tires out there.
AO Member
County: Tasmania

Our 147 has ContiSportContact(1). Fantastic tyres - no complaints about grip wet or dry, and very good steering feel & precision (much better than the Firestone's originally fitted!) They've become noisier as they've worn (1/3 tread remaining at 35,000kms), but are OK, and MUCH less noisy than the Bridgestone RE030s on my Subaru.

I'd happily buy them again and am really fussy with tyres.

AO Member
County: East Sussex

Member car:

GTV 3.2 V6

I've been using ContiSportContact (1) for over two years and would recommend them very highly Good grip in all weathers and low noise - perfect for fast cornering while listening to Classic FM

When I find something good I stick with it - so very disappointed to hear SC2 aren't so good. SC (1) are still available but they're no longer made in Germany.

Will have to try Proxes T1R next
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

thanks for all your help

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

buy , tyres