Buying Advice! 156 or 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
Buying Advice! 156 or 147

Are there any good threads for what to look out for when buying a 156 or 147? I am considering all options, petrol or diesel but would like a good overview. I would be interested in any engine, 1600cc all the way through to the 2400cc diesel - can see the merits of all of them

I am working on a budget as this will be more of a winter work house type of car so i do not use my GTV V6 so much.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 2209
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Alfa Workshops guide is the one I used for my 147, great advice on what to look for and guides on how to repair faults yourself. Here's a link to the page.

Alfa Romeo Buyer's Guides

I have the 1.9 16v JTDm so ask away if you want to know anything.

156 is bigger and more basic electronics. 147 is smaller and has can bus electronics which can be more difficult and expensive to fix than regular electrics.
147 is lighter so better on fuel.
Go petrol if your mileage is up to 12000 a year, after that, pick diesel. It's the tipping point of purchase price, tax and maintenance vs fuel costs.

Best all rounder for people and plenty of stuff is a 156 SW, best for comfort over distance is 156 Saloon, best for shorter journeys and exciting handling prowess is 147.

[color=gray]Sent from App[/color]
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
If it truly is to be a "workhorse" the 156 SW is the best all-rounder. I'd steer clear of "cheap" diesels though when decent petrol ones can be had for sensible money.

Practial Classics magazine ran a buyers guide a few months ago which was my inspiration to buy mine.

If you're going to keep it a while ( cambelt changes ) the 2.0 is more expensive to have the belts done as it has balancer shafts - the 1.8 is typically about 50 cheaper to change the cambelt on

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 156 , advice , buying