Thinking its time for an Alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 29-11-13 Thread Starter
County: Kent
Thinking its time for an Alfa

Hi guys,

Am looking for a new motor and have always loved the looks of the Alfa GT and a few years ago had considered the 3.2 V6. Anyway I ended up getting a mint 406 Coupe V6 and loved it. Great club by the way as well.

The coupe went a couple of years ago and I have been driving (don't laugh) a Toyota Yaris. Its a company car so couldn't really complain. Anyway I have the option of a cash allowance now so I need a proper motor.

Having looked at reviews of the Alfa GT I am now scared of a purchase because of the potential problems that can arise with these. I have been looking at the diesel as my commute would cost me a fortune in with the V6.

I have also seen peolpe comparing the GT to the Brera saying the Brera is of better build quality. Any truth in this?

The bottom line is I want a fast diesel that isn't going to mind doing 11k miles a year(Motorway driving).

I will continue to read the forum to learn more but any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Brera is a better build quality but it is a heavy and slow car. GT is faster and handles better but does suffer with more issues and not as nice to look at (when comparing to the brera). Between the 2 though I'd still plump for a GT
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
I would say the advantage of the Brera is that you get the option of 2.0 and 2.4 diesel as opposed to the 1.9 in the GT. If you are doing mainly motorway miles the more 'solid' feel of the Brera may help.

The Brera does have it on looks too, and depends how much you want to spend.
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire
A remapped 1.9 GT is plenty fast enough, and can be very economical if you are gentle with it. IMO, the GT is a better looker than the Brera, especially from the back. While the Brera has the 2.4, the GT is quite a bit lighter.
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Citroen DS3

Brera is a stunning looking car, IMHO the GR just lacks a little something visually. Dynamically I have not got an effin clue about either
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

156 Sport 2005

can't you remap the brera to overcome some of the speed issues?

The interior on the Brera, Dash and switches etc are not as nice looking as the GT.
Also the Brera is a hatchback unlike the GT which is a coupe (with a hatchback boot)
Buy a late plate GT with a good service history and moderate miles (The Blackline would be my choice)
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 29-11-13 Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice. Don't shoot me but I am scared of the Alfa's reputation for reliability - is it just a myth?

I've seen you can remap the GT diesel up to 210bhp.

Is 11k miles a year excessive in your opinion?

AO Member
County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

11k miles per year is just about enough to run a diesel properly imho
Diesel cars need to be run on longer journeys regularly, you want the majority of the mileage on a warm engine, some extra miles on it doesn't matter in that case.
Reputation is founded on Alfas. The build quality just isn't as good as their contemporaries. However, Alfa build quality is on a par with more modern cars that have suffered badly from bean counting in the last 6 years or so. Interior materials feel less pleasant on similarly priced cars now than 10 years ago. Vauxhall is now a sea of hard plastics as an example.

[color=gray]Sent from App[/color]
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC
County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

I personally was looking at the GT before i got my 159, i found it to be more practical than the Brera, the back seats in the Brera dont really count as seats.

The GT is a very nice looking car, either the Blackline or Cloverleaf would be my suggestions, Although i do think the Brera beats the GT on looks it falls down on practicality
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

GT v6, GTV v6

I had a remapped Diesel GT before I bought the v6. Great car to drive, loads of torque, handled well, and I love the way the GT looks. From what I've heard the Brera is a lot heavier and doesn't handle as well although I have never driven one to be fair.

As far as reliability goes it was fine, just general servicing and a new turbo hose in the time I had it.
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 29-11-13 Thread Starter
So the Cloverleaf is considered top spec then?

After that the black line. Leather interior being the only difference.

Can anyone recommend a good Alfa garage to purchase from?

Or better still are there any club members looking to part with their mint GT?
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Give Ned at AutoLusso a call he has had a few pass through him - I got my Blackline from him.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , thinking , time