I'm baaaaack - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 08-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
I'm baaaaack

I just wanted to say hello again after being away from the forum for so long. The reason being that I was feeling extremely fed up with my selespeed problem and couldn't bring myself to log on and read all of the happy peoples' tales on here.
It all started at christmas, when all of the oil in the selespeed reservoir decided to dump its contents all over the petrol station forecourt, tried to reverse, big crunch, then nothing! Mind you the engine started, but correct me if I'm wrong, cars generally need gears, and for them to be engaged, in order for the car to move!
Recovered to a local garage (a friend of the family) who agreed to have a look, but couldn't promise anything. Long story short, he got his mate to replace the gearbox, then took it down to Alfa dealer near Portsmouth, they hooked it up to their computer and informed that the gear select pump?? had gone, which had caused the original problem with the gearbox. Thing is, by then I'd already claimed for the gearbox on the AA parts and labour (well recommended!!) and knew that they wouldn't pay the "around £1000" that the alfa garage was asking for to fix the pump. Asked my mechanic mate to hold on to it for a few months, then took it to Autechnique in Salisbury, they had it for a month, decided that it was a faulty rev counter, new one in, works like a dream!! I dunno what the other garage was talking about when it was the rev counter, I'm not here to cast aspertions, but.........
Has anyone had any similar problems?
I love my car, but over the last 2.5 years, I have spent around £3.5K on her in repairs. Broken cambelt £lots, gearbox and related stuff, new rev counter and a new wing mirror!
I'm wondering whether or not to sell?

Drive it like you nicked it!!!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: I'm baaaaack

welcome back mate

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT