Dashcam wiring - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 21-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Dashcam wiring

I am highly tempted to get a dash cam for my (2004, 156) car but would prefer not to use the cigar lighter. Can these things be wired into the fuse box or somewhere else so that recording starts when I turn the ignition on?

Ideally I would also like to install a rear mounted camera and so does anyone have any tips on where to pick up the power from?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Down in the Park
I'd wire them into the interior lighting and record 24/7... add voltage regulator if needed to make +5V (you need +12V and a ground for these)

the interior lighting is also conveniently located by the rearview mirror and I presume you'll be wanting to mount the camera there... you might also find a switched 12V there (auto dimming rearview mirrors take the power there aswell)
AO Member
County: Aberdeen
If you prise out the light cluster you will see the feed as a white plug with three wires the black to the right is earth and the middle red/black permanent live.
I wired into those. okay it means you need to switch the cam on manually each time. I suspect the wire to the left is ignition or door switched ,but this set up will do for the moment. I used an in line 12 to 5 volt module and the USB feeds through the roof lining to the cam in front of the mirror.
All the rest tucks nicely into the roof lining to the right where the cables originate from.
You can buy the in line voltage converter modules on ebay for pennies. I use one for the sat-nav as well, much neater than a cigarette lighter adapter with wires trailing everywhere!

Last edited by Gilbere; 02-05-14 at 14:40.
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

I wired my permanent +\- to the wiring behind the interior light.
Then ran a switched live up from the fag lighter to turn it on/off.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

dashcam , wiring