147 Variator Help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 06-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
147 Variator Help

When I got my 147 a couple of weeks ago from a VW arnold clark. I insisted the garage change the timing belt. They did this,but now the variator is making a noise (they never changed this!) I phoned up to get them to check it out and they told me to take it to an Alfa Arnold Clark. I did this today and the informed me I needed my timing belt, tensioners and variator changed!! When they phoned up to get authorization through my warranty it was rejected as my timing belt has supposedly been done! After much complaining they have assured me my timing belt and tensioners have been done, but admit my variator has not been changed! After more complaining they have said they will change the variator for 150! I think this is still to much and it should be done under warranty but they are refusing to do it as it has not failed. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I am threatining to take my car back now but I really love it and would be sad to see it go but I dont want any damage done to the engine because of this!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: 147 Variator Help

a buggered variator won't damage it but effect performance and economy

it is a known fault for vriators to fail on alfas, and we on here recommend to change them when you do the cambelt. Thus the warranty should covered it - it has failed and is a known point of failure, infact I doubt any alfa over 30k miles has its original one working

failing that try a can of wynns engine flush, a hard drive for 30 mins lots of revs and then an oil and filter change.

It really does often unblock the variators oilways top give it a bit more life

Hold the rear end slide....don't run wide!

156 2.0TS Veloce Lthr (02/02), silver, black Momo, BMC filter,V6 intake, DS2500 Front-DS Perf Rear pads, Conti sportcontacts, OMP strut Brace .

Built in Italy, on the last Friday before (hic) Xmas........:-/
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

A variator is actually about £115 inc VAT brand new. However, I should think you should get that on warranty. Dig your heels in!
AO Member

If the variator only does a bit of "diesel" noise during a few seconds on start up, it's probably still good.

The oil ducts get clogged quite often and the variator doesn't fill up with oil correctly.
Another thing that is referred in the e-learn workshop manual is the procedure to repair the variator itself.
It seems one of the more common faults is that the variator doesn't hold the oil inside, gets dry, because of a faulty seal inside. It can also be the case.

Some FORTE engine flush, followed by an oil & filter change, plus an "italian" tune up to properly bed in the new oil, should sort it out...

In either cases, if the noise stops after a few seconds, you shouldn't worry. It's working.
If the noise is permanent, it's faulty... probably still working or you would feel a massive loss of power... but on it's way...

Anyway, the variator can be repaired, but unless they already know the procedure, the amount of work is going to get more expensive than a new one.

Either way, the variator, although still working ,isn't 100% operational, or it wouldn't be making noises...

1.8 - 175 HP - AD SportCams+Remap - BMC/CDA Box&Filter - Decat S.Sprint Exhaust // TI Mods // S.Sport 17" W. & Michelin PilotSport+BREMBO 4 Pots+305mm Drill.Discs+16/18mm Spacers+ -45mm Bilstein B12 BTK kit // HID Xenons+LEDs+Cadamuro Grill+Alfa Spoiler&Skirts+White S.Repeaters+Bodycol.S.Mirrors // TI/GTA St.Wheel+AluConsole+GTA Pedals+Black Leather Recaros+Chrome'03Trims+Alu H-Brake & DoorPins,etc...But still not done...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , variator