147 speaker wiring 'feature'.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 06-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Sussex
Hmmm 147 speaker wiring 'feature'..

Hi guys,

Like many I've upgraded the headunit and speakers (and included a subwoofer in the passenger footwell), but since doing so I seem to have added a feature...

What happens is that everything is fine, but suddenly we get a buzzing / crackling instead of real sound.

At first I thought it was the new headunit as swapping the original unit back gave us sound - but then it occurred to me that the subwoofer was still working, so I swapped it back to the new unit. Hey presto, normality resumed.

But then 2 days ago it happened again - and swapping the old unit back DIDN'T help. So I left it in and on, and within a few miles the speakers gradually crackled into life... Odd - especially as the return seemd to coincide with potholes jarring a connection.

So my question is is there a specific speaker wiring connection somewhere that can work loose other than the one on the head unit itself? I know that ones 'good' as moving it around has / had no effect.

The shortcut answer is to simply re-wire the speaker connections, not that that's necessarily a bad thing anyway as I can't imagine the wiring Alfa used is as good as it could be - but it's a pain to have to do...
Sponsored Links
Re: 147 speaker wiring 'feature'..

whats powering your sub ? do you have a seperate sub ? if so check connection and set up

(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 06-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Sussex
Re: 147 speaker wiring 'feature'..

The sub is working and providing output when the 'normal' speakers go on holiday - it's powered from the battery and switched via the headunit 'remote power on' cable, and the speaker connection is via the sub output on the headunit, not taken from the speaker connections.

When I put the original unit back it wasn't hooked up, yet the main speakers still weren't working at first...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , feature , speaker , wiring