Done the 156 today as the gear lever was starting to get a bit sticky across neutral. I have done a 147 and a GT before and both times I took the battery tray out. Managed it no bother on the 156 with the battery tray left in. Not sure if there is slightly more space or not. I used a screwdriver to lever out the old bushes and they popped out nicely. A lot easier to do than tapping them out with a drift as I have done on the two other occasions.
I couldn't find my tub of white silicon grease so I used red rubber grease (ordinary grease will damage the plastic). Hopefully it will do the job.
Needless to say the first thing I saw in the garage cupboard when returning the tub was the silicon grease!
"When you sit in a Focus RS or a Golf R32 it’s like sitting in a commercial for Lynx aftershave. When you sit in an 147 GTA it’s like sitting in a Venetian’s hand-made suitcase." J.Clarkson 2003.
Current fleet: 156 Sportwagon jtd 16V (facelift) 2.4 Spider, Leon Cupra SC
Projects: Spider S4, Matra Murena 2.2