dealer's choice of oil etc - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 04-07-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 147 2.0

dealer's choice of oil etc

My 147's just had its second service - first time round at 12k miles they filled the engine with Shell semi-synth 10W 40 but after the second service I see they've changed to Shell full-synth 5W 40. Is this normal!

Don't know if any other 147 owners have experiecned this, but I'd recently noticed a vibration/rattle coming from the clutch or gearbox area when pulling away, and this was traced to a duff clutch master cylinder - thankfully this is being replaced under warranty.

I managed to borrow a 2.2JTS 159 for the day while my car was being serviced. Amazing how such a big car on the road is so cramped inside - I think 5 adults would be more comfortable in a 147! It did drive well through...

Front view is striking, side view is quite smart (but mainly becasue of the door handles), and I think the rear is rather bland. The interior looked and felt well put together, but I'm not convinced by the styling. Definately a step backwards from the 147/GT. Shame we can't have something like the stylish-but-qwerky interior of the Mk1 164 ...

Sponsored Links
Re: dealer's choice of oil etc

the change of oil does seem a wee bit strange and also why a dealer would use shell and not selenia

AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

My Alfa dealer openly admits to using Castrol, despite having Selenia logos emblazened all over the place. Selenia 20K is the way to go, for me, so I'd buy some yourself and get someone to do another oil change for you.
AO Silver Member

IMHO the most important thing you can do is use a decent quality oil that you can get hold of easily, so you can avoid mixing the additive packages.
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Selenia seems to make mine alot quieter,if i use the synth seems to tick and be more noisey
AO Platinum Member

An oil that's thicker will make the engine smoother and quieter as the oil itself damps out some of the sound. Obviously a VERY thick oil will trash your engine, as it's too thick to move around the pipes and oilways quickly enough, so always use the right grade for your car.

Oils from different manufacturers have different characteristics, even if they are nominaly the same grade. Selenia 10W40 seems part-way between a 5W40 and a 10W40 to me. Shell Helix and Castrol Magnatec seem a teeny bit thicker.

Dealerships (espcially those belonging to multiple chains) negotiate their own oil deals so you'll get whatever oil brand they use in the workshop. That may even change over time.

As long as it's the same grade and rating as Alfa recommends then that's okay. Your engine is more at risk from running low of oil or from using a seriously wrong grade, rather than because it has Castrol in it instead of Shell (etc.).

5W40 instead of 10W40 seems like a case of they ran out of 10W40...

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 05-07-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 147 2.0

Thanks for the comments - The dealership also handles Surbarus and Fiats, so I presume they have adopted a 'one size fits all' model!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

choice , dealer , oil