V6 Symptoms and effects of bad timing set up? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

156 2.0TS+V6

V6 Symptoms and effects of bad timing set up?

The current V6 156 (2.5) feels like the last one I had, but I don't know if either were/are set up 'correctly'. (both had belts replaced but no detailed invoices)

They both vibrate slightly at tickover - which was steady @750 rpm (approx), both seem smooth and powerful up to the rev-limiter and use about a gallon per 16/20 miles urban 26/28 motorway.

Suppose I want to know if badly timed engines are obvious or not. I'm relatively new to V6 engines.

Last edited by Leaky 156; 15-11-13 at 19:30.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Depends how far out they are.

I would say a lumpy tickover could be a symptom although it might also be a symptom of something else, like needing plugs.

Also not being as free revving or as powerful as it should be would make me suspicious, although again there are other things that can cause this like a failed MAF or Lambda sensor...

The 2.5 engine is usually quite flat up until 4000rpm, the should rev very freely to the red line and be very smooth. The 3.0 in contrast has more torque at the bottom but feels slightly rougher.
My GTA had its belts done at WAD. It too idles about 750/800rpm, it too rocks and shudders slightly at idle, this is most pronounced when cold. It does 23ish to the gallon and goes like a swift with its tail on fire.

I have no reason to doubt that WAD did a good job, and I'm happy the power delivery is about right. It is smooth and linear till about 4000rpm, then picks up even faster to the redline.

I think the smoothness in my case comes from fuel. It is t used very heavily and I find the car feels more unhappy at idle when it's coming to the end of the tank. At that point it could have been 6 weeks or more since filling. It only gets regular pump petrol from the cheapest garage which is usually Morrisons or Tesco. When I run a tank of premium through which I do every 6 tanks or so it feels better, but not better enough for the extra money every time.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com App[/color]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bad , effects , set , symptoms , timing