Alfa Code - or fast-track to the asylum? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 23-06-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

Alfa Code - or fast-track to the asylum?

Hi, My name's Mike and I'm a newbie to this list so apologies in advance if I break any rules inadvertantly.

This is a slightly different Alfa immobiliser code problem to others I've read and for that reason I'm posting it. It all started when I let my battery drain and tried to jump start off another battery. The car (a 2.5 V6 156) had run perfectly before that but now wouldn't start. As the car was declared SORN for the year, I closed the garage door on it assuming the problem was wet plugs or something similar ... oh silly me. About a year later, I thought I'd stick in a fully charged battery and drive off into the sunset but again the blighter wouldn't start, and this time I noticed that pesky little code key light twinkling in my face.

Despite repeated attempts with both keys, it will not go out. Tried pressing the fuel cut-off switch til my thumb's sore, took out every bally fuse I could find in the car, including underbonnet, and checked them on a meter - none blown. (Even tried pressing the brake as suggested by one user!). Have not checked the relays as I don't know how to. Eventually I thought - Mike, you'll have to bite the bullet my boy and buy the immobiliser code which I foolishly thought I'd already paid for in the car price.

Anyway, code duly arrived and I march triumphantly to garage with a note of it grasped in one hand and owner's manual grasped in the other (never remember the procedure otherwise). Now comes the bit that seems to differ from everyone else's experiences. When I put the key to MAR, as usual the array of warning lights came on but I had never noticed the one that didn't - the injection system light at about two o'clock on the rev counter. And yes, you'll all know that you need this little sod in order to hoof in the immobiliser code. Sticking up gum trees came to mind.

I phoned the Alfa dealer, anxious to avoid an expensive 50 mile car transport bill, and asked if the problem was simply a blown bulb as it wasn't coming on at all. The engineer thought it was highly unlikely to have blown on a 40k mile car as the voltage is very low. He also said, interestingly, that the light is entirely controlled by the ECU, which suggested to him a voltage problem relating to the ecu or one of its peripherals. This got me to wondering if the code light problem was in fact a code problem when the injection light also seemed to be implicated.

If this makes any sense to anybody, could you please give me your tuppenceworth as I'm just about out of ideas and not relishing the long haul to the dealer (followed closely by the inevitable emptying of my bank a/c!) Apologies for length of mail. - Mike
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Re: Alfa Code - or fast-track to the asylum?

It is always better to swap a battery if you can, otherwise put positive to positive and negative to your chassis, not to your battery negative.

Now to upset you.

Jump-starting a modern car, battery to battery can kill the electricals. In your case you may be lucky and you just have some corroded connections somewhere but it certainly sounds like the ecu is in trouble.

On a slightly better note, you have little choice but to get an examiner on to the ecu to see whats going on but at least that might tell you that its nothing too serious.

Good luck!
AO Member

I doubt if you've damaged anything by jump starting it from another battery or car.

Because the car has been sitting around for ages it's more likely to be a poor connection so go around and remake the ECU connections and the alarm/immobiliser ones.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 23-06-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

Thanks for your input, guys. Does anyone know from experience where to find the terminals most likely to be corroded and which might be affecting this? I'm not very familiar with 156 wiring. TIA - Mike

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , asylum , code , fasttrack