Voltage - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 23-06-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Something German

Please assist

I thought my alternator didnt work but according to battery dealers both the bat and alternator are said to be normal.The highest AH rating i can get for my selespeed is 70Ah and 400CCA.I have been told by several battery dealers that in countries like mine, we dnt more CCA like in europe.Simply because the temperature doesnt drop below zero.

There are some threads that i went through and the bat minimum ratings is said to be 65Ah/CCA600.I am assuming that this is for cold countries. My Battery voltage read 14Volts.Is this enough for a selespeed?

Please assist.I need to make decision as am going out in 30 mins
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Voltage

What makes you think that your battery or alternator are faulty? If a battery dealer has checked them both then maybe they are ok?

CCA is the maximum current that a battery can deliver when cold but it's affected by temperature....so yes it's better to have a large CCA if you live in a cold climate but a 'normal' battery (300 to 400 CCA) is ok in the UK.

If you have a voltmeter then try this....

When the car is running measure the voltage across the battery. It should be 13.5 to 14 Volts DC. Turn on your main headlights (full beam) - the voltage shouldn't drop by more than about 0.2V ... if it does then you've got a wiring problem (probably a bad earth).

If the battery is fully charged then try this (if it's not fully charged then take the car for a 30 minute drive or so).

Turn off the engine and measure the battery voltage. It should be between 12.5 and 13 volts (maybe even more). If it's below 12.5 then your battery isn't fully charged or else is on the way out. Turn on the ignition and then turn on your main beam and quickly measure the battery voltage.......it will drop quickly but should still be about 12.5 volts ...if it drops to below 12 V within about 20 seconds of turning on the full beam then your battery may need to be replaced.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT