BOSE Butcher - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
BOSE Butcher

I have had my 05 2.0 GT since October 2005. Picked it up second hand with 1700 miles on it, fully loaded with all the options.

I have had loads of problems, usual stuff, rattles, fog light failure etc. Fixed most of them, including the fog lights, that one is easy....

However, the worst fault is the general fitment of the BOSE stereo system. Whoever fitted it was a total butcher!!!

As my car was second hand, I decided to track some of the rattles down myself, after two abortive visits to Sunwin in Derby to try and get them sorted on warrenty. (I would not be unhappy to see Sunwin go bust!!!)

I stripped out the boot linings and the rear side panels and was horrified to find screws missing, plastic clips broken, wires flapping in the wind, some speakers were not even connected!! The base bin was not fixed at the top and was banging on the amplifier.

However, these faults pale into insignificance, beside the worst. behind the drivers side rear panel, the cables had been pulled out and then badly re-fitted so that the seat belt was rubbing on them. The least of my problems would have been the speaker going off when the belt cut through the cable, the worst could have been belt failure in a crash.

I used to be in the automotive industry as a crash engineer and believe me, you do not want your belt breaking at the wrong time, it would be bad. I suggest that you all check your BOSE installation.

Loads of cable ties and tape fixed all the rattles, I just need to get to the bottom of this boot rattle now....Any 100% guarenteed fixes would be appreciated, or is it just lubrication?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Re: BOSE Butcher

I think the boot rattle/squeak could in part be due to the degree of 'nip' between the sealing extrusion and the abutting land on the hatch pressing. Too tight and the flexure of the bodywork migrates directly into the hinges which then crackle, and too loose and the rubber-to-hatch contact area shifts constantly causing squeaks. Try adjusting the latch or the outer bump stops (but check their original positions first)
Re: BOSE Butcher

When I picked the car up, the rear tailgate latch was broken and was replaced under warrenty by Sunwin of Derby

I wonder if they adjusted the new latch properly?

Out with the spanners this week, I have lost all faith in Alfa dealers fixing anything.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bose , butcher