Suspension squeaks and Polyurethane bushes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
Suspension squeaks and Polyurethane bushes

I plan on keeping my car for a very long time. In fact for as long as I can... I know that my suspension started squeaking and rattling suggesting that I need to make changes to my suspension. I don't want to go in for something aftermarket and do anything to lower the height. The reason is that the car is already low and stuff for some situations here.
I was watching a rerun of Wheeler Dealers where Ed replaced the rubber bushes for urethane ones on a Lanica Delta Integrale.
Are these worth it?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
I've only got the rear hub poly bushes, but even if they don't last they will be so much easier to change. They seem to have made the rear end a bit tighter but then I also replaced the transverse arms (with standard bushes) so it will be hard to tell.

The upper wishbones are relatively easy to do, but the lower arms might be more difficult as the Powerflex bushes only fit original fitment arms. Replacements seem to vary on the size of the stem that the bush sits on so if you have had new arms or are planning to get a new pair, you will have to double check. I don't actually know how you would line them up either ... they can't just be pressed on at any angle or you'll stress the bushes. Their are outlets that sell these ready fitted to new arms ... at a price!

The big question is though whether the ball-joints will last ... it's not just the bushes that go ...

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
Poly bushing is where im going when my suspensions parts need changing.
AO Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

Alfa 156 JTD

I replaced these on my last motor, a mk2 golf GTI - replaced the bushes on the rear beam, bit of a job but WHAT a difference. Admittedly, it was running on spax adjustables and sat a little lower than normal (mid life crisis) but roundabouts became an absolute hoot. I'm having my PS pipe replaced tomorrow, so the anti roll bar's going to be polybushed whilst the sub frame (and gearbox..?) is out of the way. Doesn't sound like a job for a Friday...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bushes , polyurethane , squeaks , suspension